What Is the Lorentz Boost Speed for Time Dilation and Spatial Separation?

In summary: Also, your earlier calculation for Δt looks good. Here's a double check for you. (I'm assuming you meant Δt in your post, not dt.)Δt = [1/(3*10-8 + 1)]1/2If you use the value for v determined above and the 10-8 sec for Δt', you should get the same value for Δt.In summary, the problem involved two events occurring at the same position in the inertial frame of observer A, 10 nanoseconds apart. In the frame of observer B, which is moving with respect to A, one of the events occurs 1 meter away from the other. To find the difference in time between
leonmate

Homework Statement

In the inertial frame of observer A two events occur at the same position a time 10 ns apart. In the frame of the observer B moving with respect to RA, one event occurs 1m away from the other. What is the difference in time between the two events in B's frame.
Solve by finding the Lorentz boost speed v that connects the two frames.

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations:

T = γT'
L = L' / γ

[t] = [vγ γ][t']
[x] [γ vγ][x'] <--- supposed to be the Lorentz transform matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this a couple of different ways:

First, in B's frame:

T' = 10^-8 , X' = 0m
T = ? , X = 1m

If I attempt to use the length contraction formula to find γ, I find γ = 0 as X' = 0
So then I don't have enough info to find T. So i figured this can't be right!

Next, I tried using the transformation matrix

[t] = [vγ γ][t']
[x] [γ vγ][x']

Plug values above, and I find I get stuck with an equation with loads of v's that i can't simplify.

Any help??

Thanks
[

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the time interval between the two events is 10-8 s in frame A, not frame B. For frame B, the time between the two events, ΔT', is initially unknown.

The two events occur at the same place in A.

According to frame B, how far does frame A move during the time ΔT'?

leonmate said:
First, in B's frame:

T' = 10^-8 , X' = 0m
T = ? , X = 1m

I think I misinterpreted which frame you are calling the primed frame. From the quote above, I first thought you were taking B to be the primed frame.

However, what you wrote makes more sense if you are taking A to be the primed frame. It's always a good idea to be very explicit about which frame is the primed frame.

Anyway, there are two events. So, I'm not sure which event you are referring to when you write T' = 10^-8, X' = 0. Or are you referring to intervals of time and distance here?

Ok, fair enough, I'm taking A to be the primed frame.

If we call the two events P and Q, we have the following information given to us:

tp = tp' = 0
xp = xp' = 0

So I placed event P at the origin of my spacetime diagram.

tq is unknown, tq' = 10-8 secs
xq = 1m , xq' = 0m

Frame A would move distance x = v*ΔT in observer B's reference

OK, that clears it up nicely.

leonmate said:
Frame A would move distance x = v*ΔT in observer B's reference

This might be better written as Δx = v*ΔT. Do you know the value of Δx? Can you relate ΔT to ΔT' using γ?

Yes,

v = Δx / ΔT = 1 / ΔT'γ

ΔT' = 10-8

10-8v = 1/γ

10-8v = (1 - v2)1/2

10-16v2 = 1 - v2

10-16v2 + v2 = 1

v(1 + 10-8) = 1

v = 1 / (1 + 10-8) = 0.9999999...

Doesn't seem right to me

I worked it out earlier using another method (invariance of spacetime distance), but I'd like to get the correct answer with the one above too.

ds'2 = cdt'2 - dx'2

ds'2 = c(10-8)2 - 0

ds'2 = 3*108 * (10-8)2 = 3*10-8

ds'2 = ds2

ds2 = cdt2 - dx2 = cdt2 - 1

3*10-8 + 1 = cdt2

dt = [(3*10-8 + 1) / 3*108]1/2

dt = 5.77*10-5 secs

Does that look right as well? I'm not getting the answers the match up which is frustrating

leonmate said:
10-8v = 1/γ

10-8v = (1 - v2)1/2

You left out the c2 in γ.

leonmate said:
ds'2 = cdt'2 - dx'2

Should the c be squared on the right side?

Getting somewhere, I've been trying to use c=1 units but seems like they are confusing everything.

10-16v2 = 1 - v2/c2

v2(10-16 - 1/c2) = 1

v = 1.06*108 = 0.353c

Now seems like my other method is wrong.

That's the equation I have down in my notes, what should it be? :S

Ah typo,

should be v2 = 10-16 + 1/c2

Which gives v = 17320 ms-1

That agrees with the value I got from the invariable spacetime distance method.

leonmate said:
Ah typo,

should be v2 = 10-16 + 1/c2

I don't think this is what you really meant to type. You had
leonmate said:
10-16v2 = 1 - v2/c2

v2(10-16 - 1/c2) = 1

You are correct that the minus sign on the left should be a plus sign in the second equation above..

Which gives v = 17320 ms-1

That agrees with the value I got from the invariable spacetime distance method.

You should get a much larger value for v.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm being dopey, should be 1/(10-16+1/c2)

Gives me v = 0.316c

leonmate said:
Gives me v = 0.316c

Looks good.

Related to What Is the Lorentz Boost Speed for Time Dilation and Spatial Separation?

1. What is a Lorentz boost speed?

A Lorentz boost speed is the speed at which an object is moving in relation to an observer. It is a fundamental concept in physics, specifically in the theory of relativity, and is used to describe how time, length, and mass change for objects moving at high speeds. It is named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz.

2. How is the Lorentz boost speed calculated?

The Lorentz boost speed can be calculated using the equation v = c*tanh(r), where v is the boost speed, c is the speed of light, and r is the relative velocity between the object and the observer. This equation is derived from the Lorentz transformation, which describes how measurements of time and space change between frames of reference moving at different speeds.

3. Why is the Lorentz boost speed important?

The Lorentz boost speed is important because it helps us understand how objects behave at high speeds. It is a crucial component of the theory of relativity, which has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects in our universe. Without the concept of Lorentz boost speed, our understanding of time, space, and motion would be incomplete.

4. How does the Lorentz boost speed affect time dilation and length contraction?

The Lorentz boost speed is directly related to time dilation and length contraction. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object in relation to an observer. This is known as time dilation. Additionally, the length of the object in the direction of motion appears to decrease, which is known as length contraction. The magnitude of these effects increases as the Lorentz boost speed increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Lorentz boost speed?

The Lorentz boost speed has many practical applications in modern technology. It is essential in the GPS system, which relies on precise time measurements to determine location. It is also used in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to very high speeds to study their behavior. The concept of Lorentz boost speed is also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in space, such as spacecraft and celestial bodies.