What is the Magnetic Force on an Electron Moving Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnetic force on an electron moving near a straight wire with a current of 48.8A. The Biot-Savart's law and the equation for magnetic force are mentioned as well as the direction of the force when the velocity is perpendicular, parallel, and at an angle to the wire. The correct direction and sign of the force are determined through setting up coordinate axes and using vector products.
cseil

Homework Statement

There's a straight wire through which passes a current of 48.8A.
There's an electron moving with velocity 1.08x10^7 m/s at distance 5.20cm from the wire.

I have to calculate the magnetic force on the electron when:
a) the velocity is directed perpendicularly to the wire
b) the velocity is directed parallel to the wire
c) the velocity is perpendicular to the other two directions (a,b)

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart's law
[itex]B = \frac{μ_0i}{2πr} [/itex]

[itex]F = q\vec{v}× \vec{B}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B generated by the wire is 1.88x10^-4 T

The direction of B is perpendicular to i and the vector [itex]\vec{d}[/itex] (the distance between the wire and the electron). I considered the i going from left to right, so the vector B points inside the plane.

(a) Considering that, the force should be perpendicular to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] so, with v directed to the wire, parallel to the wire but directed opposide to the current. The value is ok, I can calculate it, but I don't know if verse is right. My book says that the force is parallel and has the same verse of the current. I don't know why.

(b) If B points inside the plane, v is parallel to the wire, F points to the wire. It has the same value of (a).

(c) F is 0 because v is parallel to B.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have done it well, but you are unsure about the signs.
To make sure about the direction of the force, set up the coordinate axes at the place of the electron, and determine the force vector from the vector product. ##\vec B = B \hat y## and ##\vec F = q \vec v \times \vec B##. If the electron moves perpendicularly to the wire and radially outward, ##\vec v = v \hat x##.
##\vec F = q \vec v \times \vec B= q v B \hat x\times \hat y= qvB \hat z## Note that the charge of the electron is -e. What is the direction of the force?
What is the direction if the electron moves radially inward ?
What is the direction of the force if the electron moves in the same direction as the current?

biotsavart.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer, I've understood!

The electon have a perpendicular direction and it is going towards the wire.
So ##\vec{v} = -v\hat{x}##
## \vec{B} = B\hat{y}##

##F = -qv\hat{x} \times B\hat{y} ##

So considering that q is -e, I have

## F = evB \hat{z} ##

The direction of the force is z, it is positive so in the case (a) the force is (as the book says) parallel to the wire and it has the same verse of the current.

So, case b.

I have ##\vec{v} = v\hat{z}##

## F = -ev\hat{z} \times B\hat{y} = -evB\hat{x} ##

The force is radial inward (direction x and opposite verse of the axis).

Is that right?

cseil said:
So, case b.

I have ##\vec{v} = v\hat{z}##

## F = -ev\hat{z} \times B\hat{y} = -evB\hat{x} ##

The force is radial inward (direction x and opposite verse of the axis).

Is that right?

No. ##\hat z \times \hat y = - \hat x. ## (remember: ##\hat x \times \hat y=\hat z ##, ##\hat y \times \hat z=\hat x ##, ##\hat z \times \hat x=\hat y ##, and changing the order, the product changes sign.

ehild said:
No. ##\hat z \times \hat y = - \hat x. ## (remember: ##\hat x \times \hat y=\hat z ##, ##\hat y \times \hat z=\hat x ##, ##\hat z \times \hat x=\hat y ##, and changing the order, the product changes sign.

Oh, right.
So same direction, opposite verse.

Thank you!
It is clear now! :)

Related to What is the Magnetic Force on an Electron Moving Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

What is Biot-Savart's Law?

Biot-Savart's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. It is named after French physicist Jean-Baptiste Biot and French mathematician Félix Savart.

How is Biot-Savart's Law used in science?

Biot-Savart's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by various current-carrying configurations, such as a straight wire, a loop of wire, or a solenoid. It is also used in applications such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

What is the equation for Biot-Savart's Law?

The equation for Biot-Savart's Law is B = μ₀I/(4πr) x dl x sinθ, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, r is the distance from the wire, dl is the length of the current element, and θ is the angle between the element and the direction of the magnetic field.

What are some limitations of Biot-Savart's Law?

Biot-Savart's Law assumes that the current is steady, the magnetic field is static, and the current element is infinitesimal. It also does not take into account the effects of magnetic materials and non-uniform current distributions.

How does Biot-Savart's Law relate to Ampere's Law?

Biot-Savart's Law and Ampere's Law are both fundamental laws in electromagnetism that describe the relationship between a current and its magnetic field. While Biot-Savart's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire, Ampere's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field around a closed loop of current. In certain cases, the two laws can be used interchangeably to solve for the magnetic field.