What Is the Maximum Height of a Baseball Thrown at 75 Degrees?

In summary, the baseball would reach a maximum height of 95.62 ft if it is thrown with a velocity of 81 ft/sec at an angle of 75 degrees relative to level ground.
dare2dream

Homework Statement

Estimate the maximum height reached by a baseball during its flight if it is thrown with a velocity of 81 feet per second at an angle of 75 degrees relative to level ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found an answer, but I don't know if I did it right so I guess I'm just asking for someone to check it.

I found x = (81cos 75)T and y = -16T^2 + (81sin 75)T
So I put that in my calculator in parametric mode and graphed it with the right window. I got that the highest it would reach is 95.62ft when T=2.4

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer you got doesn't look right. Could you show how you got that result?

<.< I used my calculator with that information, guessed at different T values and found that when T was 2.4, it was the highest?

I don't know what else to show you...

Didn't you use any equations? What does the y-component of the velocity equal when the ball is as its highest point? What does that tell you about the time?

What are you talking about? I gave you the equations I used...

dare2dream said:
What are you talking about? I gave you the equations I used...

dare2dream said:
y = -16T^2 + (81sin 75)T

Where did you get this from?

That's gravity...or something.

There was a similar example my math book and I just substituted the different angle and velocity.

I still don't know if that's right or what to do/how to fix it if it's wrong...

dare2dream said:
I still don't know if that's right or what to do/how to fix it if it's wrong...

Have you read the page that radou provided in the link above. Again, how did you come up with the equation for the vertical distance?

Also, I would strongly recommend against using a calculator to perform these calculations for you. You should be able to do it by hand; and if not, now's a good time to learn how to!

Yes, I read the link. I found the equations by an example in my math book.

This is the example:
Kevin hits a baseball at 3ft above the ground with an initial speed of 150ft/sec at an angle of 18 degrees with the horizontal. Will the ball clear a 20-ft wall that is 400 ft away?

The path of the ball is modeled by the parametric equations x = (150 cos 18)t, y = -16t^2+(150 sin 18)t + 3

---
I used that example and substituted the numbers. That's the only way I could figure out the problem.

The answer you found seems right. I don't know how detailed a solution you are looking for, if you don't know the physics behind the motion. Does your book not explain it?

dare2dream said:
Yes, I read the link. I found the equations by an example in my math book.

This is the example:
Kevin hits a baseball at 3ft above the ground with an initial speed of 150ft/sec at an angle of 18 degrees with the horizontal. Will the ball clear a 20-ft wall that is 400 ft away?

The path of the ball is modeled by the parametric equations x = (150 cos 18)t, y = -16t^2+(150 sin 18)t + 3

---
I used that example and substituted the numbers. That's the only way I could figure out the problem.

Oh I see, your book uses imperial units (for some strange reason), so that would explain why g=16!

Still, I stand by my comment that you should not rely on a calculator for this problem. Surely you must have done some theory before you come across the example in the textbook.

That's all the my book explains...so it's not all that helpful. Our teacher isn't that helpful either. =S

If you can do it another way and get the same answer, that's good enough that I'll leave my work how it is...

Related to What Is the Maximum Height of a Baseball Thrown at 75 Degrees?

1. What factors affect the maximum height of a baseball?

The maximum height of a baseball is affected by the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, and the air resistance it encounters during flight.

2. How high can a baseball be thrown?

The maximum height a baseball can be thrown depends on the strength and throwing ability of the person throwing it. On average, a person can throw a baseball up to 100 feet in the air.

3. Is there a limit to the maximum height a baseball can reach?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum height a baseball can reach. This is due to the force of gravity, which pulls the ball back down towards the ground. Eventually, the ball will reach its maximum height and then begin to fall back to the ground.

4. How does the air density affect the maximum height of a baseball?

Air density plays a significant role in the maximum height of a baseball. The denser the air, the more air resistance the ball will encounter, which will cause it to reach a lower maximum height. This is why a baseball will not travel as far in high altitudes compared to lower altitudes.

5. Can a baseball reach an infinite height?

No, a baseball cannot reach an infinite height. As mentioned before, the force of gravity will always pull the ball back towards the ground. Eventually, air resistance and gravity will balance out, and the ball will reach its maximum height before falling back down.