Need some help with trace calculation in an index theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving operators in the Maxwell-Higgs model and their corresponding adjoints. It is stated that the operators should satisfy certain equations and a problem arises when trying to reproduce the result. After some discussion, it is revealed that the operators do not have the associative property, leading to an incorrect calculation. The correct method is then explained, resulting in the desired result.
Othin
TL;DR Summary
I am having trouble with an apparently simple step in Weinberg's index calculation for Abelian BPS vortices. Specifically, the expression ##( A_1\partial_2 - A_2\partial_1)## prevents me from finding the correct result.
I hate to create a thread for a step in a calculation, by I don't know what else to do. I'm having a lot of trouble reproducing E. Weinberg's index calculation (found here https://inspirehep.net/literature/7539) that gives the dimension of the moduli space generated by BPS solutions in the Maxwell-Higgs model. This calculation revolves around the operators
\begin{equation}
D=\begin{bmatrix}
(\partial_{1} + A_2) & (-\partial_{2} + A_1) & \phi_2 & \phi_1 \\
(\partial_{2} - A_1) & (\partial_{1}+A_2) & -\phi_1 & \phi_2\\
\phi_1 & \phi_2 & -\partial_2 & \partial_1 \\
0 & 0 & \partial_1 & \partial_2
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}
and its hermitian adjoint
\begin{equation}
D^{\dagger}=\begin{bmatrix}
(-\partial_{1} + A_2) & (-\partial_{2} - A_1) & \phi_1& 0 \\
(\partial_{2}+ A_1) & (-\partial_{1}+A_2) & \phi_2 & 0\\
\phi_2 & -\phi_1 & \partial_2 & -\partial_1 \\
\phi_1 & \phi_2 & -\partial_1 & -\partial_2
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation},
where ##A_j## is an electromagnetic vector potential while ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## are the real and imaginary parts of a complex scalar field, and the Gauge condition ##\partial_1A_1 + \partial_2A_2## is assumed. At some point, it is stated that ##D^{\dagger}D=-\nabla^2 -L_1##, ##DD^{\dagger}=-\nabla^2 -L_2##, where ##L_i## are operators satisfying ##\rm{Tr}(L_1-L_2)=4(\partial_1A_2 -\partial_2 A_2)##. That's what I'm having trouble with. It should be a straightforward calculation, but I get an extra factor in the result, and I don't see how it is zero. Specifically, I find ##(D^{\dagger}D)_{11}=-\nabla^2 + |A|^2 - F_{12} - A_1\partial_2 + A_2\partial_1 + \phi_1^2;## ##(D^{\dagger}D)_{22}=(D^{\dagger}D)_{11} - \phi_1^2 + \phi_2^2;## ##(D^{\dagger}D)_{33}=(D^{\dagger}D)_{44}=-\nabla^2 + (\phi_1^2 + \phi_2^2)##; ##(DD^{\dagger})_{11}=-\nabla^2 + |A|^2 + F_{12} + A_1\partial_2 - A_2\partial_1 + \phi_1^2 + \phi_2^2=(DD^{\dagger})_{22};##; ##(DD^{\dagger})_{33}=-\nabla^2 +(\phi_1^2 + \phi_2^2) ## and, finally, ##(DD^{\dagger})_{33}=-\nabla^2 ##. Thus, ##\rm{Tr}(L_1-L_2)=4(\partial_1A_2 -\partial_2 A_2 + A_1\partial_2 - A_2\partial_1)##. At first I thought I had the signs wrong, but I always end up with this extra term, no matter how many attempts I make. So, is ##\mathbf{( A_1\partial_2 - A_2\partial_1)}## zero in the Coulomb gauge or something like that ? If not, does someone have a clue on what I messed up? It may be something silly, but I really want to understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your computation (at least for ##(D^\dagger D)_{11}## which is the only one I've checked) is wrong.
In general, if you have two operators ##A## and ##B##, you can define the operator ##(AB)## by requiring that $$(AB)x=A(Bx), \quad \forall x$$
Then, if your operators have the associative property you can simply write
$$(AB)x=A(Bx)=(A\cdot B) x \Longrightarrow AB = A\cdot B$$
But that's not true in general. In particular, derivatives don't have the associative property, so you can't just multiply ##D## and ##D^\dagger## as normal matrices. You need to compute ##D^\dagger(D\psi)## for an arbitrary ##\psi## and then find the corresponding operator ##(D^\dagger D)## that would give the same result.

Likes Othin
Gaussian97 said:
Your computation (at least for ##(D^\dagger D)_{11}## which is the only one I've checked) is wrong.
In general, if you have two operators ##A## and ##B##, you can define the operator ##(AB)## by requiring that $$(AB)x=A(Bx), \quad \forall x$$
Then, if your operators have the associative property you can simply write
$$(AB)x=A(Bx)=(A\cdot B) x \Longrightarrow AB = A\cdot B$$
But that's not true in general. In particular, derivatives don't have the associative property, so you can't just multiply ##D## and ##D^\dagger## as normal matrices. You need to compute ##D^\dagger(D\psi)## for an arbitrary ##\psi## and then find the corresponding operator ##(D^\dagger D)## that would give the same result.
Oh, that's right. Thank you very much, I now have the right result.

1. What is a trace calculation in an index theorem?

A trace calculation in an index theorem is a mathematical technique used to determine the index of a differential operator on a manifold. The index is a topological invariant that measures the number of solutions to a certain differential equation on the manifold.

2. How is a trace calculated in an index theorem?

In order to calculate the trace in an index theorem, one must first construct the associated heat kernel for the differential operator. The trace is then obtained by integrating the heat kernel over the manifold and taking the limit as the cutoff parameter goes to zero.

3. What is the significance of a trace in an index theorem?

The trace in an index theorem is significant because it is a topological invariant that remains unchanged under smooth deformations of the manifold. This allows for the index theorem to be used in a variety of mathematical and physical applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using a trace calculation in an index theorem?

While a trace calculation in an index theorem is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to certain types of differential operators on manifolds, and it may not be able to provide a complete characterization of the solutions to a given differential equation.

5. Can a trace calculation in an index theorem be used in real-world applications?

Yes, a trace calculation in an index theorem has been used in various real-world applications, including in theoretical physics and geometry. It has also been used in the development of new mathematical theories and techniques.