What is the meaning of one-to-one correspondence between subsets of S?

• MHB
  • Thread starter yakin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary, one-to-one correspondence between subsets of S refers to a function that is both one-to-one and onto, meaning that it maps unique points in the domain to unique points in the range and covers the entire codomain. This is also known as a bijective function and is used to show that two infinite sets have the same cardinality.
yakin
What is the meaning of one-to-one correspondence between subsets of S?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, a function you can think of as a subset of points in the $xy$ plane that satisfy a vertical line test: no vertical line you draw can touch the function in more than one place. If, in addition, the function passes a horizontal line test (no horizontal line you could draw touches the function in more than one place), then we say the function is one-to-one. When you say "one-to-one correspondence", you typically mean a one-to-one function.

More formally: a one-to-one function is a function that maps unique points in the domain to unique points in the range. (And of course, if it's a function, then unique points in the range had to come from unique points in the domain.)

Ackbach said:
When you say "one-to-one correspondence", you typically mean a one-to-one function.
Wikipedia says that one-to-one correspondence is a bijective function, i.e., a function that is both one-to-one and onto. I've seen this interpretation before as well. And yes, it is confusing.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Wikipedia says that one-to-one correspondence is a bijective function, i.e., a function that is both one-to-one and onto. I've seen this interpretation before as well. And yes, it is confusing.

Sure, although in this context, it likely means a function between two infinite sets that allows you to conclude that they have the same cardinality. Is "onto" a necessary property to show this?

Of course: the fact that two sets have the same cardinality is evidenced by a bijection, and by definition it is both one-to-one and onto.

In any case, this is the terminology that I've seen so far.
  • One-to-one function: a function that maps different inputs to different outputs.
  • One-to-one correspondence: a function that is one-to-one and onto, i.e., covers the whole codomain.

Related to What is the meaning of one-to-one correspondence between subsets of S?

1. What is one-to-one correspondence?

One-to-one correspondence is a mathematical concept that refers to the relationship between two sets where each element in one set is paired with exactly one element in the other set.

2. What is the meaning of one-to-one correspondence between subsets?

In the context of sets, one-to-one correspondence between subsets means that there is a one-to-one relationship between the elements of one subset and the elements of another subset. In other words, each element in one subset corresponds to exactly one element in the other subset.

3. How is one-to-one correspondence between subsets of S determined?

One-to-one correspondence between subsets of S is determined by comparing the elements of the two subsets. If there exists a unique pairing between the elements of the subsets, then they have a one-to-one correspondence.

4. What is the significance of one-to-one correspondence in mathematics?

One-to-one correspondence is important in mathematics because it allows us to compare and analyze different sets in a meaningful way. It also helps us understand the relationships between different sets and their elements.

5. Can one-to-one correspondence exist between subsets of different sizes?

Yes, one-to-one correspondence can exist between subsets of different sizes. As long as each element in one subset corresponds to exactly one element in the other subset, they have a one-to-one correspondence regardless of their sizes.