What is the meaning of this notation?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter WMDhamnekar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, The limit of your expression is +infinity. hp 50g emulator gave wrong answer because its stacks are overflowed when maxR > +9E499 or minR < -9E499.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
In hp 50g emulator, I performed this computation ## \lim\limits_{x\to\infty} [2^{2x} \times (\frac13)^x + (\frac12)^{2x}\times (\frac23)^x ]##
1678520543917.png
What is the meaning of +:0 ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you try to estimate the answer ?
Another thing you can do: look at the terms separately

##\ ##

Likes topsquark
WMDhamnekar said:
Would you tell me on which page(page number), I shall get the information about +:0 ?
Can you make an effort yourself? I just suggested that the manual would contain the information you were looking for.

Have you computed limits on this calculator before? Have you tried a limit that you know what it should be?

Clearly the limit of your expression is ##+ \infty##

Likes WMDhamnekar and topsquark
I think the expression means you are approaching the limit from the right ( +:0 ) vs ( -:0 ) for approaching from the left.

As an aside, I searched for this +:0 using Google search (hp calculator +:0), and nothing came up. The "hp calculator" results superseded everything else.

Looking back in the manual provided by @malawi_glenn on page 11.2, I did find a reference to using +0 and -0 but not +:0 or -:0.

As a student or programmer, I wouldn't have guessed that usage from +0 or -0 in the manual.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu, WMDhamnekar and topsquark
jedishrfu said:
I think the expression means you are approaching the limit from the right ( +:0 ) vs ( -:0 ) for approaching from the left.
I don't think that makes any sense, as the limit is as x approaches infinity. And per @malawi_glenn, the limit itself is infinity.

WMDhamnekar said:
gave wrong answer because its stacks are overflowed when maxR > +9E499 or minR < -9E499.
In our finite world (Universe?) I doubt it makes much difference. 🤪

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu

What is the meaning of this notation?

The meaning of a notation depends on the context in which it is used. Notations are used to represent complex ideas or processes in a concise and standardized way.

Why do scientists use notations?

Notations allow scientists to communicate complex ideas and processes in a concise and standardized way. This makes it easier for other scientists to understand and replicate their work.

How do I interpret a notation?

To interpret a notation, you need to understand its components and the rules that govern its use. This can be achieved by studying the notation's definitions and any accompanying explanations or examples.

Can notations be translated into other languages?

Yes, notations can be translated into other languages as long as the rules and definitions are preserved. However, some notations may have cultural or linguistic nuances that make direct translation difficult.

Are notations universal?

No, notations are not universal. Different fields of science may use different notations to represent similar ideas or processes. It is important to understand the specific notation used in your field of study.