What is the method for calculating the angle Θu in compressible flow?

In summary, the angle Θu in compressible flow can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation or approximated using the Mach angle. It is important to understand the underlying principles and equations rather than just memorizing specific methods.
pipe08
Hello good people!

I'm studying the compressible flow and the book refers to this example. I can't understand how does it calculate the angle Θu?
In the previous example, there is a method to calculate it but it requires all the properties once the fluid is deflected, therefore, that's not the way because they are asking for the pressures.

anything light is greatly appreciated.
1608093257183.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Much like ##\theta_l##, ##\theta_u## is set by the surface inclination due to the no-penetration condition.

Hi there!

Firstly, I want to say that it's great that you're studying compressible flow. It can be a challenging topic, but it's also very interesting.

To answer your question, the angle Θu is typically calculated using the conservation of momentum equation in the direction of flow. This equation takes into account the change in momentum due to the deflection of the fluid, as well as the pressure forces acting on the fluid.

In some cases, the angle can also be approximated using the Mach angle, which is the angle at which a shock wave is formed in supersonic flow. However, this is only applicable in certain situations and may not always give an accurate result.

I understand that the previous example may have used a different method to calculate the angle, but it's important to remember that there are often multiple ways to solve a problem in fluid mechanics. It's always best to understand the underlying principles and equations, rather than just memorizing specific methods.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is compressible flow?

Compressible flow is a type of fluid flow in which the density of the fluid changes due to variations in pressure and temperature. This type of flow is typically observed in gases, as opposed to incompressible flow which is seen in liquids.

2. What are the key characteristics of compressible flow?

The key characteristics of compressible flow include changes in density, changes in temperature, and changes in pressure. In addition, compressible flow is affected by the speed of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the flow channel.

3. How is compressible flow different from incompressible flow?

Compressible flow differs from incompressible flow in that the density of the fluid changes in compressible flow, while it remains constant in incompressible flow. Additionally, compressible flow is affected by changes in temperature and pressure, while incompressible flow is not.

4. What are some practical applications of compressible flow?

Compressible flow has many practical applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and energy. It is used in the design of aircraft and rockets, as well as in the development of efficient engines and turbines. Compressible flow is also important in the production and transportation of natural gas and oil.

5. How is compressible flow studied and analyzed?

Compressible flow is studied and analyzed using mathematical equations and computational simulations. These methods allow scientists to predict and understand the behavior of compressible flow in different scenarios. Experimental techniques, such as wind tunnels, are also used to study compressible flow in a controlled environment.