What is the minimum sum of fractions with positive numbers and permutations?

In summary, the concept of "Smallest sum of fractions" involves finding a set of fractions that, when added together, result in the smallest possible sum. This is important in mathematics as it simplifies and compares fractions, making calculations and problem-solving easier. To find the smallest sum of fractions, we use the method of finding the least common multiple. An example of finding the smallest sum of fractions is 1/2 + 1/3 = 5/6, where the least common multiple of 2 and 3 is 6. The smallest sum of fractions cannot be negative as fractions represent parts of a whole and will always result in a positive value.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Let $a_1,a_2, ... , a_n$ be positive numbers.

Let $i_1,i_2, ... , i_n$ be a permutation of $1,2,...,n$.

Determine the smallest possible value of the sum:

$$\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{a_k}{a_{i_k}}$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By AM–GM,
$$\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{a_k}{a_{i_k}}\ \ge\ n\cdot\sqrt[n]{\frac{a_1\cdots a_n}{a_{i_1}\cdots a_{i_n}}}\ =\ n.$$
This is attained when $i_k=k$ for $k=1,\ldots,n$ (i.e. when it’s the identity permutation).

Hence the minimum value is $n$.

Great job, Olinguito! Thankyou for your participation!(Handshake)

What is the concept of "Smallest sum of fractions"?

"Smallest sum of fractions" refers to the mathematical problem of finding the smallest possible sum that can be obtained by adding together a set of fractions.

How is the smallest sum of fractions calculated?

The smallest sum of fractions is calculated by finding the lowest common denominator of all the fractions in the set and then adding the fractions together using this denominator.

What is the significance of finding the smallest sum of fractions?

Finding the smallest sum of fractions can be useful in various applications, such as optimizing resource allocation or minimizing costs in a business setting.

What are some strategies for finding the smallest sum of fractions?

One strategy is to use the Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor of the fractions, which can then be used to find the lowest common denominator. Another strategy is to convert the fractions to decimals and compare them to find the smallest sum.

Can the smallest sum of fractions ever be negative?

No, the smallest sum of fractions can never be negative. Fractions represent parts of a whole, and a negative sum would imply a deficit or an excess, which is not possible in this context.