K-th convergents of continued fraction

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that if $c_k=\frac{p_k}{q_k}$ is the $k$-th convergent of a continued fraction, then $q_k \geq 2^{\frac{k-1}{2}} (1 \leq k \leq n)$. The conversation goes on to discuss using recursive relations and induction to prove this, and also discusses the fact that $a_i \geq 1$ for $i>0$ in continued fractions. The conversation ends with a reference to Theorem 12 in "Continued Fractions" by A. Ya. Khinchin as a possible proof.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that if $c_k=\frac{p_k}{q_k}$ the $k$-th convergents of the continued fraction $[a_0; a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n]$, then $q_k \geq 2^{\frac{k-1}{2}} (1 \leq k \leq n)$.

Could you give me a hint how we could show this? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that if $c_k=\frac{p_k}{q_k}$ the $k$-th convergents of the continued fraction $[a_0; a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n]$, then $q_k \geq 2^{\frac{k-1}{2}} (1 \leq k \leq n)$.

Could you give me a hint how we could show this? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Wiki says:
For a continued fraction $[a_0;a_1,a_2,a_3,...]$, the first four convergents (numbered 0 through 3) are
$$\frac{a_0}{1}, \frac{a_1 a_0 + 1}{a_1}, ...$$

If successive convergents are found, with numerators $h_1, h_2, …$ and denominators $k_1, k_2, …$ then the relevant recursive relation is:
$$h_n = a_nh_{n − 1} + h_{n − 2},\\
k_n = a_nk_{n − 1} + k_{n − 2}.$$

Can we use that?
If so, can we prove it by induction? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Wiki says:
For a continued fraction $[a_0;a_1,a_2,a_3,...]$, the first four convergents (numbered 0 through 3) are
$$\frac{a_0}{1}, \frac{a_1 a_0 + 1}{a_1}, ...$$

If successive convergents are found, with numerators $h_1, h_2, …$ and denominators $k_1, k_2, …$ then the relevant recursive relation is:
$$h_n = a_nh_{n − 1} + h_{n − 2},\\
k_n = a_nk_{n − 1} + k_{n − 2}.$$

Can we use that?
If so, can we prove it by induction? (Wondering)

If we use this, then at the base case, do we pick $n=2$ ?

If so, then we have $k_2=a_2 k_1+k_0$.

But can we get somehow an inequality for the latter? (Thinking)

evinda said:
If we use this, then at the base case, do we pick $n=2$ ?

If so, then we have $k_2=a_2 k_1+k_0$.

In the base case we should calculate $k_0$, and $k_1$.
Then in the induction hypothesis we assume it is true up to $n\ge 1$.
And in the induction step we have to prove it for $n+1$ for which we can now use that formula. (Thinking)

evinda said:
But can we get somehow an inequality for the latter?

We have that $a_i \ge 1$ for $i>0$ don't we? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
In the base case we should calculate $k_0$, and $k_1$.
Then in the induction hypothesis we assume it is true up to $n\ge 1$.
And in the induction step we have to prove it for $n+1$ for which we can now use that formula. (Thinking)

We have that $a_i \ge 1$ for $i>0$ don't we? (Wondering)[

We have that $k_0=1 \geq 2^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$ and $k_1=a_1$.

Why does it hold that $a_i \ge 1$ for $i>0$?At the induction hypothesis we assume that $k_j \geq 2^{\frac{j-1}{2}}, \forall 1 \leq j \leq n$, or not?

Then, $k_{n+1}=a_n k_n+k_{n-1} \geq 1 \cdot 2^{\frac{n-1}{2}}+2^{\frac{n-2}{2}}=2^{\frac{n-2}{2}} (\sqrt{2}+1) \geq 1$. Right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
We have that $k_0=1 \geq 2^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$ and $k_1=a_1$.

Why does it hold that $a_i \ge 1$ for $i>0$?

Because:
  • It says so in wiki:
    In either case, all integers in the sequence, other than the first, must be positive.
  • If $a_n$ would be $0$, we'd be dividing by $0$.
  • If we pick $a_2=0$, we get $q_2=0\cdot a_1 + 1=1 \not\ge 2^{\frac{2-1}{2}}=\sqrt 2$. (Worried)
evinda said:
At the induction hypothesis we assume that $k_j \geq 2^{\frac{j-1}{2}}, \forall 1 \leq j \leq n$, or not?

Shouldn't that be $\forall 0 \leq j \leq n$ ? (Wondering)

evinda said:
Then, $k_{n+1}=a_n k_n+k_{n-1} \geq 1 \cdot 2^{\frac{n-1}{2}}+2^{\frac{n-2}{2}}=2^{\frac{n-2}{2}} (\sqrt{2}+1) \geq 1$. Right?

Don't we need to prove that $k_{n+1} \ge 2^{\frac n 2}$ ? (Thinking)

This is Theorem 12 in "Continued Fractions" by A. Ya. Khinchin (Dover publications). The proof uses repeated application of an inequality derived from Theorem 1 of the same book. If I can figure out how to use the Latex code I will post them.

1. What are K-th convergents of continued fraction?

K-th convergents of continued fraction refer to the fractions obtained by truncating a continued fraction at the Kth term. These fractions are used to approximate irrational numbers and can provide increasingly accurate representations as K increases.

2. How are K-th convergents calculated?

To calculate the K-th convergent of a continued fraction, we take the first K terms of the continued fraction and perform a reverse recursion. This means starting from the last term and working backwards, finding the numerator and denominator for each convergent fraction until we reach the Kth term.

3. What is the significance of K-th convergents in mathematics?

K-th convergents are important in mathematics because they provide a way to approximate irrational numbers and can be used to prove the irrationality of certain numbers. They also have applications in number theory, cryptography, and other fields.

4. Can K-th convergents be used to find the exact value of an irrational number?

No, K-th convergents can only provide increasingly accurate approximations of an irrational number. As K approaches infinity, the convergents can get closer and closer to the exact value, but they will never reach it.

5. Are K-th convergents unique?

Yes, K-th convergents are unique for a given continued fraction. This means that for a specific continued fraction and a specific value of K, there is only one K-th convergent. However, different continued fractions can have the same K-th convergent.