What is the minimum thickness required for ferromagnetism in thin films?

In summary, The speaker is a student doing their PG and has chosen the topic of "Ferromagnetic thin films" for their mini project. However, they are facing difficulties in starting their project due to a lack of guidance from their college professors who are on vacation. The project presentation is expected to be 20-30 minutes long and the student has three weeks to complete it. They are interested in learning about the properties, fabrication, and applications of ferromagnetic thin films, including sputter deposition, chemical vapour deposition, and epitaxy. They also mention the use of ferromagnetic thin films in multiferroic heterostructures and their application in computer memories. The speaker also notes the minimum thickness required for fer
vinzie
Hi,

I am doing my PG. To select a topic for my mini project, I select the topic "Ferromagnetic thin films" Probably I will be covering it's properties, fabrication and applications at some basic level.

So what is the problem is I have no one to guide me here as I am far away from the college and for my personal reasons I am at home and all other professors are on vacation leave. So I need a small guidance to start it off. I googled but lot of information stuffed out there. I am confused how to start. Also different fabrication is mentioned, somewhat complicated for me.

The mini project presentation would be around 20 to 30 mins. So Kindly help me out. I am ready to do hardwork. 3 weeks are there for my project.

Thank You!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have access to any database, i.e. scopus?

Fabrication: say something about sputter deposition, maybe chemical vapour deposition, epitaxy
Properties: you can say something about magnetic domains (see domain theory). For example, in thin films magnetisation is oriented in-plane, i.e. parallel to film surface, due to magnetostatic interaction.
Applications: thin ferromanetic films are used, for example, to create multiferroic heterostructures. It is, in the simpliest case, thin ferromagnetic film sputtered onto ferroelectric crystal. It is multiferroic, because this medium is both ferromagnetic, and ferroelectric. Then, if there exists some kind of interaction between ferroelectric substrate and ferromagnetic film, it may be possible to change magnetisation value, direction, or other magnetic property of film, using electric field, which affects directly substrate.
The main application of this, is RAM - computer memories. In particular, you are able to write "zeros" and "ones" to memory using electric field, what is faster, uses less energy and improve density of data, comparing with magnetic field.

I don't know, what do you expect. If you are interested, I can give you some basic literature about that.

One interesting property that I came across in looking at superconductor/ferromagnet thin films is how a minimum thickness is necessary before ferromagnetism sets in. It might be interesting to address this is some facet.

1. What are ferromagnetic thin films?

Ferromagnetic thin films are thin layers of a material that exhibit ferromagnetism, which is the ability to retain a permanent magnetic moment even after an external magnetic field is removed.

2. How are ferromagnetic thin films made?

Ferromagnetic thin films are typically made using techniques such as physical vapor deposition, chemical vapor deposition, or sputtering, where a thin layer of a ferromagnetic material is deposited onto a substrate.

3. What are some applications of ferromagnetic thin films?

Ferromagnetic thin films have many applications, including in magnetic data storage, spintronics, magnetic sensors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) devices.

4. What factors affect the properties of ferromagnetic thin films?

The properties of ferromagnetic thin films are influenced by factors such as the composition and structure of the material, the thickness of the film, and the method of fabrication.

5. How do ferromagnetic thin films differ from other types of magnetic materials?

Ferromagnetic thin films have unique properties such as high coercivity and remanence, which allow them to retain a strong magnetic field even in the absence of an external field. They also have a higher surface-to-volume ratio compared to bulk magnetic materials, making them useful for applications where a small size and high sensitivity are important.