What is the Modulus of the Square Root of a Number?

Since we are talking about the square root function, we TAKE the positive square root and so (-4)^{1/2} is NOT the same as 2i, it is "i".The point is that, if x is negative, the value of (-x)^{1/2} is NOT the same as (-x)^2= x^2. That is the point of using the absolute value or the "modulus".Thank you for the clarification. In summary, the function (x^2)^0.5 is correctly defined as |x| (modulus of x) because the square root function is defined as the positive number whose square is equal to the input. However, for the function
sachin123
Consider this function:
(x^2)^0.5

My textbook considers this to be |x| (modulus of x).
Is it correct?

x^2 gives a positive quantity.On taking square root of that,we'll get either -x or +x.
So why modulus?

Also,
(x^0.5)^2
This is modulus isn't it?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
For (x2)0.5 consider that if you plug in a value of x=-1, squaring that gives 1 and then taking the square root (since we define the square root of a number to be its positive square root) this will be 1, which is |-1|. So if we plug in any positive number for x, we get back the positive but if we plug in a negative, we get back the negative of that, or its modulus. So the answer is (x2)0.5=|x|

For the other, yes the answer is just x, but remember that you can't take the square root of a negative number so it's only defined for [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]

sachin123 said:
Consider this function:
(x^2)^0.5

My textbook considers this to be |x| (modulus of x).
Is it correct?

x^2 gives a positive quantity.On taking square root of that,we'll get either -x or +x.
This is wrong. Every operation (or function) on one or more numbers gives a single value. [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] is defined as the positive number whose square is a. Think about it: What are the solutions to [itex]x^2= a[/itex]? answer: [itex]x= \pm\sqrt{a}[/itex]. If [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] itself were both plus and minus, you would NOT need to write the "[itex]\pm[/itex]".

So why modulus?

Also,
(x^0.5)^2

Thank You
No, it is not. If x is already negative then either its square is not defined (it you are talking about real numbers only) and so you cannot do that calculation, or it is an imaginary number whose square is negative.

sachin123 said:
So why modulus?
Also,
(x^0.5)^2
HallsofIvy said:
No, it is not. If x is already negative then either its square is not defined (it you are talking about real numbers only) and so you cannot do that calculation, or it is an imaginary number whose square is negative.

I'm sure you meant "... then either its square root is not defined ..."

If, as I said, we are talking about real numbers only, and x= -4, then [itex](-4)^{1/2}[/itex] "is not defined"- there is no such real number and we simply cannot do that calculation.

If we are talking about complex numbers, then [itex](-4)^{1/2}= 2i[/itex] and then [itex]((-4)^{1/2})^2= (2i)^2= -4[/itex].

Related to What is the Modulus of the Square Root of a Number?

1. What is the root of the square of something?

The root of the square of something is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 16 is 4, because 4 multiplied by itself is 16.

2. How do you find the root of the square of something?

To find the root of the square of something, you can use a calculator or a mathematical formula. For example, to find the square root of 25, you can use a calculator to find that it is 5, or you can use the formula √25 = 5.

3. What is the difference between a square and a square root?

A square is the result of multiplying a number by itself, while a square root is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. So, the square of 4 is 16, while the square root of 16 is 4.

4. Can you take the square root of a negative number?

Yes, you can take the square root of a negative number. However, the answer will be a complex number, which includes both a real and an imaginary part. For example, the square root of -4 is 2i, where i is the imaginary unit (√-4 = 2i).

5. What is the relationship between squares and square roots?

The square root of a number is the inverse of squaring that number. In other words, if you take the square root of a squared number, you will get the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 squared is 25.