What is the molarity of the standard solution used for iodimetric titration?

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
In summary, anhydrous liquid hydrazine is a highly hazardous, toxic, carcinogenic substance. The %-purity of a sample, presumed to be neat anhydrous hydrazine, is to be determined by iodimetric titration.
higherme

Homework Statement

Anhydrous liquid hydrazine is used as a rocket propellant. It is a highly hazardous, toxic, carcinogenic substance.
The %-purity of a sample, presumed to be neat anhydrous hydrazine, is to be determined by iodimetric titration.

First, the titrant iodine (+potassium iodide) solution (I2 + I− ⇌ I3−) was standardized.
61.24 mL of iodine solution was required to titrate 0.2802 g of As2O3 dissolved in a sodium hydroxide solution adjusted to near neutral pH.

H2AsO3− + I3− + 4H2O → HAsO42− + 3I− + 3H3O+

What is the molarity of the standard solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the concentration of the standard which is iodine. I know that it took 61.24ml of that soln to titrant the analyte As2O3. So, my attempt is to take the mass of As2O3 that was used and convert that to moles using the molar mass.. then this moles will be the same as moles of iodine that reacted. from there i can find concentration...
BUT, what I don't get is the equation given... it started with H2AsO3... is that what the analyte is? or is it a different compound.. since the 2 after the As is missing

Physics news on Phys.org
You lost me at hydrazine (H4N2). What does arsenite ion have to do with this?

BTW. Arsenic in As(OH)3 or H2AsO3- is As+3 and Arsenic in As2O3 (O=As-O-As=O) it is +6. Yes, they are different compounds in different oxidation states.

I'm confused. But that is what the question is asking... maybe I mis-understood something. I don't know what is reacting with what

maybe the hydrazine, is not related to the question, I don't know :S

so is "As2O3 dissolved in a sodium hydroxide" => H2AsO3- ?

Apparently the arsenous acid is used to standardize the I3- solution. The standardized solution (I3-) is then used to titrate hydrazine, although that part of the procedure is not discussed in this problem.

Oh...

so, would this be the way to find the [ ] of the standard:

take the mass of As2O3 given (0.2802g) and divide by its molar mass to get the moles of it.

0.2802g *(1mol As2O3 / 197.839g) = 0.001416 mol As2O3 *2 = 0.00283mol As

0.00283 mol As = moles I3- reacted

0.00283mol I3- / 0.06124 L = 0.046 M I3- <--- that would be the concentration of the standard

is this way right?

Don't forget that "...As2O3 dissolved in a sodium hydroxide solution adjusted to near neutral pH" means,

As2O3 + 3OH- + H+ ------> 2 H2AsO3-

so after i find the moles of As2O3 times 2 = moles of H2AsO3-

0.2802g *(1mol As2O3 / 197.839g) = 0.001416 mol As2O3 *2
= 0.00283mol H2AsO3- = moles I3-0.00283mol I3- / 0.06124 L = 0.046 M I3- <--- that would be the concentration of the standard

like this?

1. What is an iodimetric titration?

An iodimetric titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by using a known concentration of iodine as the titrant and a starch indicator to detect the endpoint. This method is commonly used to determine the concentration of substances that can be oxidized by iodine, such as analytes containing sulfur, sulfides, or thiosulfates.

2. How does an iodimetric titration work?

In an iodimetric titration, a known volume of iodine solution is added to the analyte solution until all of the analyte has reacted with the iodine. At this point, the solution will change color due to the formation of a starch-iodine complex. The volume of iodine solution used can then be used to calculate the concentration of the analyte using the stoichiometry of the reaction.

3. What is the role of starch in an iodimetric titration?

Starch is used as an indicator in an iodimetric titration because it forms a blue-colored complex with iodine. This color change is easily visible and can be used to determine the endpoint of the titration, when all of the analyte has reacted with the iodine. Without the starch indicator, it would be difficult to detect the endpoint of the titration.

4. What are the advantages of using an iodimetric titration?

Some advantages of using an iodimetric titration include its simplicity, speed, and accuracy. This method does not require expensive equipment and can be performed relatively quickly. It also allows for the determination of very small concentrations of analytes and can be used for a wide range of substances.

5. Are there any limitations to using an iodimetric titration?

While iodimetric titrations have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. This method is only suitable for substances that can be oxidized by iodine, so it may not be applicable for all types of analytes. Additionally, the presence of other substances in the solution, such as strong reducing agents, can interfere with the accuracy of the titration results.