What is the mole ratio of NaOH to C8H8O3 in this reaction?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter JM92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole Ratio
In summary: You are correct that the balanced equation is needed in order to accurately determine the mole ratio of NaOH to C8H8O3 and identify the limiting reagent. The byproducts may be irrelevant for the calculation, but it is always good practice to include them in the balanced equation. In summary, the first step in solving this problem is to determine the balanced chemical equation.
JM92

Homework Statement

We are given the fact that 0.12 mol NaOH reacts with 0.015 mol methyl salicylate (C8H8O3) to form disodium salicylate (C7H4Na2O3). We're asked to calculate the mole ratio of NaOH to C8H8O3, identify the limiting reagents, and find the theoretical yield.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just divide the mole values given and get 8 NaOH :1 C8H8O3, but the equation doesn't make sense in those ratios.

(I also found out through Google that water H2O and methanol CH3OH are byproducts of the reaction, but that wasn't given to us so maybe it's irrelevant to solving the questions. Anyway, if we consider the byproducts, the mole ratio I want would be 2 NaOH : 1 C8H8O3).

Would the only way to answer this be to figure out the balanced equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you must figure out the balanced chemical equation, especially if you want to find the limiting reagent in this reaction and calculate the theoretical yield. The Magic 8 Ball will be no help to you here.

JM92 said:
(I also found out through Google that water H2O and methanol CH3OH are byproducts of the reaction, but that wasn't given to us so maybe it's irrelevant to solving the questions. Anyway, if we consider the byproducts, the mole ratio I want would be 2 NaOH : 1 C8H8O3).

An excellent start.

1. What is a mole ratio?

A mole ratio is a conversion factor that relates the number of moles of one substance to the number of moles of another substance in a chemical reaction. It is determined by the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation.

2. Why is calculating the mole ratio important?

Calculating the mole ratio allows scientists to determine the exact amount of reactants needed for a chemical reaction and predict the amount of products that will be formed. It also helps in determining the limiting reactant and the percent yield of a reaction.

3. How is the mole ratio calculated?

The mole ratio is calculated by dividing the number of moles of one substance by the number of moles of another substance in a balanced chemical equation. This can also be determined by comparing the coefficients of the two substances in the equation.

4. Can the mole ratio be used to determine the mass of a substance?

Yes, the mole ratio can be used to convert between moles and mass of a substance. This can be done by using the molar mass of the substance, which is the mass of one mole of that substance, in the conversion factor.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating the mole ratio?

Some common mistakes include using an unbalanced chemical equation, using the wrong coefficients, and not converting between units (such as from grams to moles). It is important to double check the equation and use the correct coefficients to ensure an accurate mole ratio.