What is the Momentum of a 15 Ton Train Traveling at a Speed of 46.6 m/s?

In summary, the momentum of a 15 metric ton train can be calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity, and to have a momentum of 700,000 kg(m/s), the train must travel at a speed of approximately 46.6 m/s according to the given equations. However, for the purposes of the homework, the answer may need to be rounded up to a small positive integer between 1-10.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

What speed must a 15 metric ton train travel to have a momentum of 700,000 kg(m/s)?

Homework Equations

Momentum = mass X velocity

change in momentum = mass(Finalvelocity - initialvelocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I though you did it like this...

15 metric tons= 15,000 kg

so 700,000=15,000V

V=46.6 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks ok to me. Except if you report the answer to one decimal place you'll have to round it up.

Well see that's the problem, my teacher is having us enter our answers on to a university of Texas homework service site thing. So to help us not enter all wrong answers and get a horrible grade, he gave us a "range" for the answers of each problem, for that problem it says the answer is "a small positive integer 1-10"

Well the only thing i can suggest is that there is a typo somewhere. I assume you've checked the units it has to be entered in and everything.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to the mass and velocity of an object?

Momentum is directly proportional to both the mass and velocity of an object. This means that as either the mass or velocity increases, so does the momentum.

3. How do you calculate the momentum of a 15 ton train?

To calculate the momentum of a 15 ton train, you will need to know its mass (15 tons) and its velocity. Once you have this information, you can use the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity, to calculate the momentum of the train.

4. Can momentum change?

Yes, momentum can change. This can occur if the mass or velocity of an object changes. For example, if a 15 ton train is traveling at a constant speed, its momentum will remain the same. However, if the train starts to slow down or speed up, its momentum will change.

5. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It also helps us predict the behavior of objects in motion and is a key concept in many fields of science, including physics and engineering.