What is the momentum of the muon in a pi-meson decay?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rest energy and decay of a pi-meson into a muon and a neutrino. The momentum of the muon is calculated using conservation laws and the equation E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4, with the values of the masses and speed of light. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the calculation and its resolution.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

pi-meson's rest energy is 139.57MeV, it decays into a muon and a neutrino. The muon has a rest energy of 105.45MeV, and a proper lifetime of 2.197*10^-6. The neutrino's mass can be treated as massless in the process.

1) Assuming the pi-meson decays at rest, what is the momentum of the muon?

Homework Equations

E_muon + E_neutrino = E_pi-meson
E_muon = c^2* ((m_pi-meson)^2 - (m_muon)^2)) / (2m_pi-meson)
E_muon = sqrt((P_muon^2 c^2) + (m_muon c^2)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I used used the second equation and it gives about 9.866*10^18, then, use this value in the 3rd equation and solving for the momentum, I get a negative value under the square root, which doesn't make sense. In the 2nd equation, the values I plugged in for m_pi-meson and m_muon are just 139.57 and 105.47, and used 3*10^8 for c. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul.119 said:
E_muon = c^2* ((m_pi-meson)^2 - (m_muon)^2)) / (2m_pi-meson)
E_muon = sqrt((P_muon^2 c^2) + (m_muon c^2)^2)
Where do those equations come from?
Abdul.119 said:
Ok I used used the second equation and it gives about 9.866*10^18
9.866*1018 what? Kilometers, apples, ...? Units are important.

mfb said:
Where do those equations come from?
9.866*1018 what? Kilometers, apples, ...? Units are important.
The first equation is based on the conservation laws, you can see from here https://teachers.web.cern.ch/teache...h/mbitu/energy_and_momentum_conservation1.htm I used equation (2.5)
For the second equation, I used the fact that E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4 , squared both sides to get E, and tried to solve for the momentum from here

Oh never mind, I solved it. Thanks for the help.

1. How is the momentum of a muon determined?

The momentum of a muon is determined by measuring its velocity and mass. This can be done using a particle detector or through calculations based on the muon's energy and trajectory.

2. What is the significance of finding the momentum of a muon?

The momentum of a muon is an important physical quantity that can provide insight into the properties of the muon and its interactions with other particles. It can also be used to study fundamental forces and contribute to our understanding of the universe.

3. What methods are used to find the momentum of a muon in experiments?

There are various methods used to find the momentum of a muon in experiments, including tracking detectors, time-of-flight measurements, and calorimetry. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and they are often used in combination to improve the accuracy of the measurement.

4. How does the momentum of a muon relate to its energy?

According to the special theory of relativity, the momentum of a particle is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the momentum of a muon, the higher its energy and vice versa.

5. Can the momentum of a muon be changed or manipulated?

The momentum of a muon can be changed or manipulated through various methods, such as applying external forces or accelerating the muon using electric or magnetic fields. However, the muon's momentum is also subject to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, so any changes must be accounted for in the overall system.