What is the name for a scripted letter in a paper?

• News
  • Thread starter Afonso Campos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, the conversation discussed a scripted letter in a paper, which was identified as a J in Fraktur script and an I representing the imaginary part. The conversation also mentioned different font styles that can be used in math mode, such as \mathbb{}, \mathcal{}, and \mathfrak{}, and provided a reference list of characters in various scripts.
Afonso Campos
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what a scripted letter in a paper I'm reading is called.

The scripted letter is in equation (3). It looks like some kind of a scripted T.

10335c10db.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Fightfish said:
It looks like a J in Fraktur script to me (i.e. the mathfrak command in LaTeX).
It is actually an I, representing the imaginary part, obtained using \Im:
$$
\Im \omega_0 \leq \pi T_\mathrm{BH}\, .
$$

Likes Afonso Campos
Arrrgg! MathJax doesn't render that with the right font. Here is how it will look in ##\LaTeX##:
image-493.jpg

Likes Afonso Campos
Afonso Campos said:
The scripted letter is in equation (3). It looks like some kind of a scripted T.
You can test it in the editor section: type something included in ##\textrm{## \mathfrak{something} ##}## and see what it looks like - ## \mathfrak{something} ## - by the editor function "preview".

Frequently used fonts are:
\mathbb{} for double lines as in ##\mathbb{R}##
\mathcal{} for a look similar to hand writing ##\mathcal{G}##
\mathfrak{} fraktura for "old" letters like in ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##

Here's an overview of LaTeX symbols: http://detexify.kirelabs.org/symbols.html

Likes Afonso Campos
DrClaude said:
It is actually an I, representing the imaginary part, obtained using \Im:
$$
\Im \omega_0 \leq \pi T_\mathrm{BH}\, .
$$

Makes sense! Thanks!

1. What are scripted letters in papers?

Scripted letters in papers refer to the use of specific fonts or font styles to mimic handwriting or calligraphy in written documents. These letters are often used for decorative or aesthetic purposes, but can also add a personal touch to the content.

2. How are scripted letters created in papers?

Scripted letters can be created in papers using various methods such as hand-drawing, computer software, or pre-made fonts. Hand-drawing can give a more authentic and unique look, while using software or pre-made fonts allows for more precision and consistency.

3. What are the benefits of using scripted letters in papers?

Using scripted letters in papers can add visual interest and enhance the overall design of the document. It can also create a sense of personalization and uniqueness, making the content more memorable and engaging for readers.

4. Are there any limitations or guidelines when using scripted letters in papers?

There are no specific limitations or guidelines when using scripted letters in papers, but it is important to consider legibility and readability. The font should not be too elaborate or difficult to read, as it may distract from the content. It is also recommended to use scripted letters sparingly and in moderation.

5. Can scripted letters be used in scientific papers?

Yes, scripted letters can be used in scientific papers as long as they do not compromise the credibility and professionalism of the content. They can be used for headings, titles, or other non-essential elements, but should not be used in place of standard fonts for important information such as data and results.