What is the Nuclear Spin of Fluorine-19 and How is it Calculated?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the nuclear spin of ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## using the nuclear shell method. While the expected nuclear spin would be ##I=\frac{5}{2}## based on the number of protons and neutrons, the actual result is ##I=\frac{1}{2}##. This discrepancy is due to confusion between net spin and total magnetic moment.
Clear Mind
I was trying to calculate the ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## nuclear spin using the nuclear shell method. From what i know the nuclear spin for a nucleous with odd ##A## is the total angular momentum ##J## of the stand-alone nucleon:
P: ##(1d_{5 \backslash 2})^1## (stand-alone nucleon)
N: ##(1d_{5 \backslash 2})^2##
which in this case is a proton with ##J=\frac{5}{2}## so it leads to a nuclear spin of ##I=\frac{5}{2}##. But this isn't what i found in lecture, from the pdg (http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=90019) ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## result to have ##I=\frac{1}{2}##.
I missed something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your filling is incorrect.
You have 9 protons and 10 neutrons. Well no need to care about the neutrons, since they will pile up into pairs together (even number). From the protons you will have 1 extra remaining unpaired. You will fill until [itex]1d_{5/2} [itex]. So your nucleus spin will be determined by the unpaired proton, the proton has spin 1/2 so 1/2 is the spin of your nucleus...
Sometimes things are mixed with J, S in nuclear physics, calling both of them "spins". The total angular momentum is indeed 5/2, the spin is 1/2.

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
Your filling is incorrect.
You have 9 protons and 10 neutrons. Well no need to care about the neutrons, since they will pile up into pairs together (even number). From the protons you will have 1 extra remaining unpaired. You will fill until [itex]1d_{5/2} [itex]. So your nucleus spin will be determined by the unpaired proton, the proton has spin 1/2 so 1/2 is the spin of your nucleus...
Sometimes things are mixed with J, S in nuclear physics, calling both of them "spins". The total angular momentum is indeed 5/2, the spin is 1/2.

My apologies but I'm not understanfding what you mean, for example take the ##^{43}_{21}Sc_{22}##. It have 22 neutron (so we don't need to care about), and 21 proton which are filled until ##1f_{7 \backslash 2}##. There's only one proton unpaired so nuclear spin ##I## should be ##\frac{1}{2}## (equal to the spin of the proton) but is ##I=\frac{7}{2}## (always from pdg http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=210043)

I don't understand what either of you is saying. 19F can be modeled as an 18O plus a proton. 18O is 0+, so 19F is 1/2+.

have you failed to recognize the difference between net spin and total magnetic moment?

1. What is the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19?

The nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 is 1/2. This means that the nucleus of a Fluorine 19 atom can have two different spin states, with one having slightly higher energy than the other.

2. What factors affect the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19?

The nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 is primarily affected by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus. It can also be influenced by external magnetic fields and the chemical environment of the atom.

3. How is the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 measured?

The nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 is typically measured using a technique called nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). This involves applying a strong magnetic field to the sample and then measuring the energy difference between the two spin states.

4. Why is the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 important in chemistry?

The nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 is important in chemistry because it can provide valuable information about the structure and dynamics of molecules. NMR spectroscopy, which relies on the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19, is commonly used in chemical analysis and research.

5. Can the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 be altered?

No, the nuclear spin of Fluorine 19 is an inherent property of the atom and cannot be altered. However, the energy difference between the two spin states can be manipulated by external factors such as temperature and magnetic fields.