What is the optimal filling and temperature for autoclaving Carbomer solution?

• Thread starter dwilkerson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around autoclaving a 12kg Carbomer solution using 2 media bottles, one with a volume of 10L and the other with 5L. The question is how much solution should be filled in each bottle, with some suggesting to leave 25% head space and others recommending 50%. The lead chemist wants to autoclave at 126C for 30 minutes, but there are concerns about the high temperature and longer duration affecting the rheological properties of the solution. Some suggest using a 20L glass carboy with a foil lid instead. There are also debates about the appropriate temperature and duration for sterilization, with options of 126C, 123C, or
dwilkerson
We have 2 media bottles: 10L and 5L , autoclavable glass with screw-on high-temp caps. We are trying to autoclave about 12kg of Carbomer solution.

2 Questions:

Some people say to leave 25% head space for boiling over, some people say 50% head space. Since we need about 12L solution autoclaved and only have 15L of glass volume, what's the optimal filling of each media bottle. My guess is 8L solution in the 10L MB, and 4L in the 5L MB - is that pushing it? Could I potentially lose a lot of solution by doing this? Or should I just use a 20L glass carboy with a foil lid? Thanks.

The lead chemist wants to autoclave at 126C for 30 minutes. I'm concerned with the extra high temperature and longer duration will affect the rheological properties of the carbomer solution (e.g. make it more viscous, etc). I believe 121C at 20 minutes would be enough time for a proper sterilization... then recently I read that solution volumes should positively correlate with exposure times, (e.g. larger volume = longer exposure time). Hence my question, we have 5 options. 126C, 123C, 121C? for 30 or 20 minutes? I'm leaning towards, 121C/30min.

Thanks for reading - and I hope everyone can learn from this discussion.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This sounds like a similar process used to treat canned goods. There are tables of heats and times. Usually a study needs to be done to determine the "heat penetration" of the product and can size. Read http://www.iftps.org/pdf/heat_pen_6_04.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is autoclaving and why is it important for solutions in a laboratory?

Autoclaving is a process of sterilization that uses high-pressure steam to kill microorganisms and their spores. It is important for solutions in a laboratory because it ensures that the solutions are free of contamination and safe for use in experiments.

2. How does autoclaving work?

Autoclaving works by exposing the solutions to high-pressure steam for a specific period of time, usually around 15-20 minutes. The heat and pressure generated by the steam can kill microorganisms and their spores, making the solutions sterile.

3. What types of solutions can be autoclaved?

Most aqueous solutions, such as buffers, media, and reagents, can be autoclaved. However, some solutions, such as those containing oils or volatile substances, may not be suitable for autoclaving and may require alternative methods of sterilization.

4. How do I prepare solutions for autoclaving?

Before autoclaving, it is important to ensure that the solutions are in appropriate containers, such as autoclavable bottles or tubes, and that the containers are not overfilled to allow room for expansion during the process. The solutions should also be properly labeled with the contents, date, and your initials.

5. Are there any safety considerations when autoclaving solutions?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when autoclaving solutions. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as heat-resistant gloves, when handling hot solutions. It is also important to allow the solutions to cool down before opening the autoclave to avoid burns from the steam. Additionally, make sure to properly dispose of the waste generated from autoclaving.

Back