What is the Optimal Wall Thickness for a Square Tube Supporting a Static Load?

In summary, if you want to make a steel beam with a balance point 2 feet from one end, the square tube needs to be at least 1 inch thick.
james ichi
I need to make a steel beam ( or aluminum) of square tube ( box beam) 10 feet long with a balance point 2 feet from one end. The short end will have 60 lbs on it and the long end will have 30 lbs. how thick of a wall will the square tube need to be to hold the static load?

Engineering news on Phys.org
james ichi said:
I need to make a steel beam ( or aluminum) of square tube ( box beam) 10 feet long with a balance point 2 feet from one end. The short end will have 60 lbs on it and the long end will have 30 lbs. how thick of a wall will the square tube need to be to hold the static load?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What is this beam to be used for? What is your background in this type of design?

My background is minimal. It's part of a art instalation.

james ichi said:
My background is minimal. It's part of a art instalation.

Who will be held liable if you take advice for this on a web forum, and it fails and hurts some people? Can you ask for help from your ME department instead?

On one but myself

Unfortunately, your setup is a very particular one and cannot be resolved easily by quick calculations from common cases.

Your forces don't seem to be balanced, thus a twisting torque will be applied at the junction of the beam and support. The design of that junction will be critical and how you intend to do it is crucial for the calculations.

Also the thickness depends on the size and the material of your square tubing (Usually, a larger square can have a thinner wall and aluminum needs to be thicker than steel for a given size).

The good news is that an engineering student under proper supervision can do such a task. So I also suggest finding a local university with an engineering department; You might find an helpful teacher that is willing to give some real work experience to one of its student.

Likes berkeman
And here I though there were people that such things...

1. What is the formula for calculating the load capacity of a square tube?

The formula for calculating the load capacity of a square tube is: Load Capacity (lbs) = (Moment of Inertia (in^4) * Modulus of Elasticity (psi) * Length (in)) / (Distance from Neutral Axis (in))^2

2. How do I determine the appropriate size of a square tube for a given load?

The appropriate size of a square tube for a given load can be determined by using the formula mentioned in the first question. You will need to know the moment of inertia and modulus of elasticity of the material, as well as the length and distance from the neutral axis of the tube.

3. Are there any safety factors that should be considered when selecting a square tube for a load?

Yes, it is important to consider safety factors when selecting a square tube for a load. Common safety factors for structural components range from 1.5 to 3, depending on the level of risk and the specific application.

4. Can a square tube be used to support both compression and tension loads?

Yes, a square tube can be used to support both compression and tension loads. The load capacity of a square tube is affected by the direction of the load, so it is important to consider this when designing a structure.

5. What are some common materials used for square tubes and how do their properties affect load capacity?

Common materials used for square tubes include steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. The properties of these materials, such as their modulus of elasticity and tensile strength, can affect the load capacity of a square tube. Generally, materials with higher tensile strength and modulus of elasticity will have a higher load capacity.