What is the orbital period of a satellite in a low-Earth orbit?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the orbital period of a satellite in a circular, low-Earth orbit. The formula for the period is P=C(1+3h/[2R⊕]), where C is a constant, h is the elevation above Earth's surface, and R⊕ is the radius of Earth. The conversation suggests using the Taylor series for (1+x)^(3/2) and truncating it to the linear term due to the small value of h compared to R⊕. This simplifies the equation and makes it easier to calculate the orbital period.
Masschaos

Homework Statement

Consider a satellite in a circular, low-Earth orbit; that is, its
elevation above the Earth’s surface is h ≪ R⊕. Show that the orbital period P for such a satellite is approximately P=C(1+ 3h/[2R⊕]).

Homework Equations

P2 = (4pi2)/(GM) * a^3. (G - gravitational constant, M - mass of the Earth (in this case) and a = semi-major axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the semi-major axis will be: a = h + R⊕.
I've also picked up that a useful representation of a will be: a = R⊕(1 + h/R⊕)
This means our equation because P2 = (4pi2)/(GM) * (R⊕(1 + h/R⊕))^3.
Now we just want P, so P = (2pi/√GM) * (R⊕(1 + h/R⊕))^(3/2).

This obviously doesn't leave me with much. I've picked up from a few lectures that it may have something to do with Taylor series, but I'm severely stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good guess. It is taylor series. (1+x)^(3/2)=1+3x/2+3x^2/8+... for x small. Truncate to the linear term. Does that help?

Oh yes, I do see. That is almost exactly what is required.
I don't suppose you'd know any reason for keeping it to the linear term?
Perhaps because h << R the other terms become negligible. I think that is reasonable!
Thank you very much.
That was much simpler than I thought.

1. What is a low-Earth orbit?

A low-Earth orbit (LEO) is a type of orbit that is relatively close to the Earth's surface, typically between 160 and 2000 kilometers. It is used for a variety of purposes, including satellite communications, Earth observation, and space exploration.

2. How long is the period of a low-Earth orbit?

The period of a low-Earth orbit depends on the altitude of the orbit. On average, it takes about 90 minutes for a satellite to complete one orbit in LEO. However, the period can range from 88 minutes at an altitude of 160 kilometers to 127 minutes at an altitude of 2000 kilometers.

3. How does the period of a low-Earth orbit affect communication with satellites?

The shorter period of a low-Earth orbit allows for faster communication with satellites compared to higher orbits. This is because the satellite is closer to the Earth's surface, reducing the distance that communication signals have to travel.

4. What factors can affect the period of a low-Earth orbit?

The period of a low-Earth orbit can be affected by various factors, including the altitude of the orbit, the Earth's gravitational pull, and atmospheric drag. Higher altitudes and stronger gravitational forces can increase the period, while atmospheric drag can cause the orbit to decay over time, leading to a shorter period.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a low-Earth orbit?

One of the main advantages of a low-Earth orbit is that it allows for faster communication with satellites and provides a closer view of the Earth's surface for observation. However, the short period can also be a disadvantage, as satellites in LEO need to constantly adjust their orbit to avoid falling back to Earth due to atmospheric drag. Additionally, the proximity to the Earth's atmosphere can also cause damage to satellites from debris and radiation.