What is the oscillation frequency of a vibrating hydrogen molecule?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the oscillation frequency of an H2 molecule displaced from equilibrium. The equation f=\frac{ 1 }{ 2 pi } sqrt{\frac{ k }{ m_{eff} }} is used, with k = 500N/m and meff = m/2, where m is the mass of a hydrogen atom. The mass of a hydrogen atom is given as 1.008 u, where 1u=1.661×10−27kg. The resulting frequency is found to be 1.2e14 Hz, which is different from the expected result of 1.23*10^14 Hz due to a missing set of brackets in the calculation.
oldspice1212

Homework Statement

When displaced from equilibrium by a small amount, the two hydrogen atoms in an H2molecule are acted on by a restoring force Fx=−k1x with k1 = 500N/m.

Calculate the oscillation frequency f of the H2 molecule. Use meff=m/2 as the "effective mass" of the system, where m is the mass of a hydrogen atom.
Take the mass of a hydrogen atom as 1.008 u, where 1u=1.661×10−27kg. Express your answer in hertz.

Homework Equations

[itex]f=\frac{ 1 }{ 2 pi } sqrt{\frac{ k }{ m_{eff} }}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So plugging everything in I get [itex]f=\frac{ 1 }{ 2 pi } sqrt{\frac{ 2 times 500 }{ 1.661 times 10^{-27} }}[/itex] giving me a final answer of 1.22*10^15 Hz, but the answer is 1.23*10^14 Hz, I have no idea what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is correct, your numerical result is wrong. The expression you give evaluates to 1.2e14 Hz.

Likes oldspice1212
Oh wow, that was dumb of me, I didn't put the brackets around 2 pi, so it put pi in the numerator for me ha.

Thank you so much for confirming :)

What is a vibrating hydrogen molecule?

A vibrating hydrogen molecule is a molecule composed of two hydrogen atoms that are bonded together. The bond between the atoms causes them to vibrate or move back and forth in a specific pattern.

How does a hydrogen molecule vibrate?

A hydrogen molecule vibrates due to the energy levels of the atoms. As the atoms absorb energy, they start to vibrate or move. The atoms can also lose energy and stop vibrating. This pattern of energy absorption and release creates the vibration of the molecule.

What is the significance of a vibrating hydrogen molecule?

The vibration of a hydrogen molecule is important in many chemical reactions. It can affect the energy levels and reactivity of the molecule, leading to different products and outcomes. Additionally, the vibration of hydrogen molecules is also used in spectroscopy techniques to study the structure and properties of molecules.

What factors affect the vibration of a hydrogen molecule?

The factors that can affect the vibration of a hydrogen molecule include temperature, pressure, and the surrounding environment. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the energy of the atoms, leading to more intense vibrations. The surrounding environment, such as the presence of other molecules, can also affect the vibration of a hydrogen molecule.

Can a hydrogen molecule vibrate in different ways?

Yes, a hydrogen molecule can vibrate in different ways, known as vibrational modes. The simplest mode is when the two atoms move back and forth together. However, there are also more complex modes where the atoms move in opposite directions or in circular patterns. The number of vibrational modes a molecule has depends on its structure and the types of bonds present.