What is the parent of Xenon 133?

• Thread starter youngdogs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Xenon
In summary, Xenon 133 is a fission product of Uranium 235 and is a waste produced by nuclear reactors. Its direct parent in an alpha decay chain would be Barium 137, but Barium 137 is stable. However, Xenon 133 is also a daughter product of Iodine 133, which is also a fission product. Heavy element decay chains typically do not go as far as Xenon 133.
youngdogs
I'm a nuclear medical student and am studying the radiopharmaceutical Xenon 133. I know that Xenon 133 decays into Cerium 133, but what is Xenon 133s direct parent? (I believe Xenon 133 is in the Uraninum 235 decay scheme.)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The logical parent of 133Xe in an alpha decay chain would be 137Ba, having two more protons and two more neutrons. However 137Ba is stable.

In fact 133Xe is a fission product of 235U, and is a waste produced by nuclear reactors. A large quantity was http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/node/5844 in the Fukushima earthquake disaster.

It's a fission product, as Bill said. It's also an I-133 daughter, and I-133 is also a fission product. Heavy element decay chains do not typically go as far as 133.

I appreciate your responses. Thank you for your help.

1. What is Xenon 133?

Xenon 133 is a chemical element with the atomic number 54 and symbol Xe. It is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless noble gas that is found in trace amounts in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. What is the atomic structure of Xenon 133?

Xenon 133 has 54 protons, 54 electrons, and 79 neutrons in its atomic structure. It has eight valence electrons, making it a stable and unreactive element.

3. What is the parent of Xenon 133?

Xenon 133 is a stable isotope, meaning it does not decay or have a parent isotope. It is formed through nuclear fusion in stars, but it is not a product of radioactive decay.

4. How is Xenon 133 used in scientific research?

Xenon 133 has several uses in scientific research, including as a tracer gas in medical imaging tests and as a propellant in ion thrusters for space exploration. It is also used in nuclear reactors as a coolant and in lighting applications.

5. Is Xenon 133 dangerous to humans?

Xenon 133 is not considered dangerous to humans in small amounts. It is non-toxic and does not react with other elements, making it safe for use in medical and industrial applications. However, inhaling large amounts of xenon gas can cause dizziness, nausea, and breathing difficulties.