What is the probability of life on exopanet LHS475b?

In summary: It's possible, but it's not clear how likely it is.It's possible, but it's not clear how likely it is.
NOSYLA
Recently the James Webb Telescope discovered an exoplanet 99% the size of Earth. Its name is LHS 475 b. What is the probability that there is life on this planet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
:welcome:

There's no way to calculate a meaningful probability without more information. And without a better understanding of the probability of abiogenesis on an Earth-like planet.

Likes BillTre
Somewhere between 0% and 100%, but likely very close to the zero end.

Likes swampwiz and anorlunda
phinds said:
Somewhere between 0% and 100%, but likely very close to the zero end.
You mean the probability of 1% probability is greater than the probability of 99% probability?

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, BillTre, anorlunda and 1 other person
PeroK said:
You mean the probability of 1% probability is greater than the probability of 99% probability?
By quite a bit, I imagine.

phinds said:
By quite a bit, I imagine.
You mean there's a high probability that the probability of 1% probability is greater than the probability of 99% probability?

I'll stop now!

• Haha
Likes BillTre and phinds
PeroK said:
You mean there's a high probability that the probability of 1% probability is greater than the probability of 99% probability?
Probably.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person
NOSYLA said:
Recently the James Webb Telescope discovered an exoplanet 99% the size of Earth. Its name is LHS 475 b. What is the probability that there is life on this planet?
Since you didn't supply a link to the information, and I'm too lazy to go searching for it right now, did the article say if the planet is likely in the Goldilocks Zone of its star?

Likes BillTre and FactChecker
berkeman said:
Since you didn't supply a link to the information, and I'm too lazy to go searching for it right now, did the article say if the planet is likely in the Goldilocks Zone of its star?
That's a very good point, but I'm still not sure that it is enough to answer the question.

FactChecker said:
I'm still not sure that it is enough to answer the question.
True, but if it's not in the GZ, that would preclude most forms of life that we have experience with...

Likes FactChecker and BillTre
The researchers have also confirmed that LHS 475 b maintains a tidal-locked orbit with its star of just two days — far too close to attempt with Sol but, because LHS circles a red dwarf that's producing less than half of our sun's energy, can theoretically maintain an atmosphere.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Hmm, tidally locked and one side is too hot and one side is too cold. Kind of re-defines the meaning of the Goldilocks Zone (into a ring around the planet)...

Likes FactChecker
berkeman said:
Hmm, tidally locked and one side is too hot and one side is too cold. Kind of re-defines the meaning of the Goldilocks Zone (into a ring around the planet)...
Huh. I read that and the first thing I thought of was that the planet must have spent too much time in the bathtub.

I have GOT to stop listening to my brain.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
NOSYLA said:
Recently the James Webb Telescope discovered an exoplanet 99% the size of Earth.
What is the orbital period and predicted surface temperature of that planet ?

Wikipedia says:
"Assuming the planet has little to no atmosphere, its dayside temperature is estimated at 748 K (475 °C; 887 °F). The planet completes an orbit around its star in just two days and is likely tidally locked."
There is very little chance of life at those temperatures.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara and FactChecker
While I agree an exact numerical probability is meaningless, the probability is very very low.
  • No detected atmoshere
  • Too hot
  • Likely tidally locked (maybe a 3:2 would improve this)
  • Sun likely to be a flare star.
It would not be high on my list of a place to look.

Likes diogenesNY, Bystander and FactChecker
Vanadium 50 said:
While I agree an exact numerical probability is meaningless, the probability is very very low.
  • No detected atmoshere
  • Too hot
  • Likely tidally locked (maybe a 3:2 would improve this)
No - make it worse.
In terms of equivalent radiation, the distance of LHS 475 b to star is about 0,21 AU (In terms of distance, 0,0206). Compare Mercury 0,31 to 0,47 AU, and Venus 0,72 AU.
Venus has a dense atmosphere - 90 bar at surface. The result is that although Venus has axial tilt of just 2,64 degrees, the dense atmosphere efficiently carries heat to poles and night side - the temperature difference between dayside and poles is said to be around 5 C, so poles are still heated to 450 C, cooking everything alive anywhere on Venus.
Mercury has axial tilt of just 2 minutes, and tenuous atmosphere. Since Mercury is in 3:2 resonance, obviously the tropics of Mercury are cooked daily. How cold are poles of Mercury?

If you have a tidally locked planet which is more massive than Mercury and with a tenuous atmosphere significantly denser than Mercury but much less dense than Venus, could you have a chemical cycle between the near side and the coolness of dark side/poles and rest of terminator?
Like Boudouard reaction:
in the heat of near side:
C+CO2>2CO driven by entropy of CO, stores up enthalpy
on the coolness of dark side the direct opposite reaction
2CO>C+CO2
would be kinetically slow and need a catalyst; instead you might have the enthalpy exploited by biological catalysts:
2CO+H2O>CH2O+CO2
This of course is not yet a closed cycle. Do you get the idea of thermal gradient supporting chemical disequilibrium? Any proposed cycles which would close as a full cycle?

1. What is the definition of an exoplanet?

An exoplanet, also known as an extrasolar planet, is a planet that orbits a star other than our own Sun.

2. What is the likelihood of life existing on exoplanet LHS475b?

The likelihood of life existing on exoplanet LHS475b is currently unknown. Scientists have not yet discovered any definitive evidence of life on this or any other exoplanet.

3. What factors contribute to the probability of life on exoplanet LHS475b?

Factors that may contribute to the probability of life on exoplanet LHS475b include the presence of liquid water, a stable atmosphere, and a suitable distance from its star to support habitable temperatures.

4. How do scientists determine the potential habitability of an exoplanet?

Scientists use various methods to determine the potential habitability of an exoplanet, including analyzing its size, distance from its star, and atmospheric composition. They also look for signs of potential liquid water, which is considered a key ingredient for life.

5. Is there a way to definitively determine if life exists on exoplanet LHS475b?

At this time, there is no definitive way to determine if life exists on exoplanet LHS475b or any other exoplanet. However, scientists continue to study and search for potential signs of life on exoplanets using various techniques, such as analyzing atmospheric gases and searching for biosignatures.