What is the projectile's launch speed?

In summary, the conversation is about three physics problems involving projectiles and their motion. The first problem requires finding the time and distance of a bullet fired from a horizontal position. The second problem involves a baseball hit at an angle and the center fielder's average speed to catch it. The third problem involves determining the launch speed of a projectile to clear a certain height. The person speaking is asking for help and any hints on how to solve these problems.
Marcelgluch
I though i was starting to understand but now i don't know anymore.. so please help! i have tried to figure it out myself .. but i just don't know where to start

1.A bullet is fired from a rifle that is held 1.6m above the ground in a horizontal position. The initial speed of the bullet is 1100 m/s. Find (a) the time it takes the for the bullet to strike the ground and (b) the horizontal distance traveled by the bullet.

2.A baseball is hit into the air at an initial speed of 36.6m/s and an angle of 50.0 degrees about the horizontal. at the same time, the center fielder starts running away from the batter, and he catches the ball 0.914 m above the level at which it was hit. if the center fielder is initially 1.10x10^2 from the plate, what must be his average speed?\

3.The highest barrier that a projectile can clear is 13.5 m, when the projectile is launched at an angle of 15.0 degrees above the horizontal. What is the projectile's launch speed?

i would appreciate any help at all... even if its just a hint on how to get started on these questions! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Read up on http://www.pa.uky.edu/~moshe/phy231/lecture_notes/projectile.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

For all three scenarios, we need to use the equations of motion for projectile motion, which are:

1. y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2*g*t^2 (vertical motion)
2. x = x0 + v0x*t (horizontal motion)

Where:
y = vertical position
y0 = initial vertical position
v0y = initial vertical velocity
t = time
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2)
x = horizontal position
x0 = initial horizontal position
v0x = initial horizontal velocity

To find the projectile's launch speed, we need to know the initial velocity of the projectile (v0). This can be found using the following equation:
v0 = √(v0x^2 + v0y^2)

We can then use the given information to solve for v0 in each scenario.

1. To find the time it takes for the bullet to strike the ground, we can set y = 0 and solve for t:
0 = 1.6 + 0 - 1/2*9.8*t^2
t = √(2*1.6/9.8) = 0.4 seconds

To find the horizontal distance traveled by the bullet, we can use the given initial velocity (v0x = 1100m/s) and the time found above to solve for x:
x = 0 + 1100*0.4 = 440 meters

Therefore, the projectile's launch speed is 1100 m/s.

2. To find the center fielder's average speed, we need to use the given information to find the time it takes for the baseball to reach the center fielder's position. To do this, we can set y = 0.914m and solve for t:
0.914 = 0 + 36.6*sin(50)*t - 1/2*9.8*t^2
t = 3.97 seconds

We can then use this time to find the horizontal distance traveled by the baseball:
x = 0 + 36.6*cos(50)*3.97 = 100.6 meters

Since the center fielder starts at a distance of 110 meters from the plate, his average speed must be:
v = (110+100.6)/3.97 = 53.4 m

1. What is the definition of projectile launch speed?

Projectile launch speed is the initial velocity at which an object is launched or thrown into motion. It is the speed at which the object begins its path or trajectory.

2. How is projectile launch speed measured?

Projectile launch speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) using a speedometer or other measurement tools. It can also be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the projectile launch speed?

The projectile launch speed can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial force or energy applied to the object, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the weight or mass of the object.

4. Why is projectile launch speed important?

Projectile launch speed is important because it determines the trajectory and distance that the object will travel. It is also a key factor in determining the object's final velocity and potential for reaching a target.

5. Can projectile launch speed be changed?

Yes, projectile launch speed can be changed by adjusting the initial force or energy applied to the object, changing the angle of launch, or altering the weight or mass of the object. Other factors such as air resistance can also affect the launch speed.