What is the reality of the scalar product?

In summary, the scalar product is a useful tool for measuring quantities in various fields such as geometry, algebra, topology, physics, and functional analysis. It is defined as the product of the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them, represented algebraically as ||a||.||b||.cos(a;b) = k. This value k can represent different things depending on the context, but ultimately it is a way to measure and analyze quantities in a given structure. The video mentioned in the conversation also explains how the scalar product can be used to find the projection of one vector onto another, and this idea is commonly used in physics and Lie theory. Overall, the scalar product is a versatile and valuable tool in various mathematical
hugo_faurand
Hi everyone !

I would like to know the real meaning of scalar product. So, I know scalar product is defined as :

||a||.||b||.cos(a;b) = k

But what k is ?

(Sorry for my english, I am french).

Regards :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is the product of the magnitudes, which are pointing in the same direction. First one vector is projected onto the other. Think of casting a shadow down of one vector onto the other one, to get the portion which is in the same direction.

One practical use is in calculations of work performed by a force. Suppose you are pulling a wagon with a force. But you are pulling at an angle 30° up from the horizontal surface. You take the cosine of the angle then multiply the magnitude of the force by the distance traveled (magnitude of distance vector), to find the amount of work done.

This video is about tensors and vectors. I think the whole thing is worth watching, but the part around 3:17 talks about projecting vectors onto another vector.

Last edited:
Likes hauhnar
Basically its a useful product where you can get:
- the projection of A on B by dividing it by the magnitude of B or
- the projection of B on A by dividing it by the magnitude of A or
- the angle between A and B by dividing by the magnitudes of A and B

This is useful when you are say computing the effect of a force A along a certain direction B (represented as a unit vector in the B direction). The effect of the force is the projection of A on B.

Since B is a unit vector its magnitude is 1 and so the A . B product is the magnitude of the A projection along B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product

In contrast, the vector product A x B geometrically can represent the area of a parallelogram partially bounded by A and B.

hugo_faurand said:
Hi everyone !

I would like to know the real meaning of scalar product. So, I know scalar product is defined as :

||a||.||b||.cos(a;b) = k

But what k is ?

(Sorry for my english, I am french).

Regards :)
This depends on whom you ask. A geometer, an algebraist, a topologist, a physicist or a functional analyst may all give a different answer to this question corresponding to what they use it for. In the end it's a convenient tool to measure something. Perhaps only the algebraist would give a different answer. To him it's simply an operation which some structures carry and others don't.

Likes Kumar8434, davidge and jedishrfu
I liked how Dr. Fleisch described projecting a vector as casting a shadow of one vector onto another.
I know what a vector projection is, but I don't recall seeing it presented like that. It made me think "Aha"

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks for your answers! But, as @fresh_42 says, I would like to have more precisions on algebric meaning.

hugo_faurand said:
Thanks for your answers! But, as @fresh_42 says, I would like to have more precisions on algebric meaning.
I'm not sure how far an answer can go on "B" level, which wasn't already given. If you're interested in the geometrical aspect, this: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.5935.pdf might be worth reading. Another example is physics itself. Lie theory plays a crucial role in large part of physics and within Lie theory certain objects, whose most important property is to allow a kind of scalar product. Those products are really often used, resp. more generally speaking, bilinear forms, which associate a scalar to two elements of the structure. If it is not degenerated and positive definite as in the case of a scalar product, it is especially useful, as it allows geometry (length and angles) and to some extend a kind of division on the structure considered. But it's not only Lie theory. Quantum field theory heavily relies on Hilbert spaces, where the elements are functions and which have a scalar product.

In more detail:

Not degenerated means, ##a\cdot b = 0## for all ##b## implies ##a=0## and positive definite ##a\cdot a \geq 0## with equality only in the case ##a=0##. The usual scalar product has these properties. So if we have them (plus linearity in the arguments, i.e. the distributive law), we can build transformations like ##w \longmapsto w - \frac{2(w \cdot v)}{(v \cdot v)} v## and do geometry by investigating the scalar ##\frac{2(w \cdot v)}{(v \cdot v)}## which can be seen as a normalized angle, a slope. You might be surprised how far this can get you. It was the beginning of an entire classification in Lie theory and the physicist actually use this classification.

This is a short glimpse on how scalar products can be used. They are simply incredibly useful; especially on structures which otherwise don't have methods of measuring. And to measure quantities is beside philosophy the only way we try to understand everything around us.

Another way to calculate the scalar product (also called dot product) of two vectors is to multiply the components, then add them.
For example if vector u = ai + bj + ck and vector v = di + ej + fk, then the scalar product of u and v is a*d + b*e + c*f.

Likes jedishrfu
scottdave said:
Another way to calculate the scalar product (also called dot product) of two vectors is to multiply the components, then add them.
For example if vector u = ai + bj + ck and vector v = di + ej + fk, then the scalar product of u and v is a*d + b*e + c*f.

What's interesting here is that each vector is represented as the sum of three vectors which are all orthogonal to each other aka the basis vectors. The coefficients of u and v are actually the projections of u and v on each basis vector I,j and k i.e. a=u.i and b=u.j ...

Expanding the u.v = ai.di + ai.ej + ai.fk + bj.di + bj.ej + bj.fk + ... = ai.di + bj.ej + ck.fk since the ij, jk and ik dot products are zero because they are orthogonal.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and fresh_42
Theres a cool series of videos on YouTube by 3brown1blue called the Essence of Linear Algebra that could check out to get more insight into this and other vector operations.

Likes scottdave

1. What is the definition of scalar product?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a scalar (single numerical value) as the product. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors, and then multiplying it by the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the scalar product used in physics?

The scalar product has various applications in physics, including calculating work done by a force, determining the angle between two vectors, and finding the component of a vector in a particular direction. It is also used in the equations for calculating displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is the physical significance of the scalar product?

The physical significance of the scalar product is that it represents the projection of one vector onto another. This projection can be interpreted as the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector. It is also used to determine the angle between two vectors, which is important in understanding the relationship between them.

4. How is the scalar product different from the vector product?

The scalar product results in a scalar value, while the vector product (also known as the cross product) results in a vector value. The scalar product is a measure of the magnitude of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them, while the vector product is a measure of the magnitude of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

5. Can the scalar product be negative?

Yes, the scalar product can be positive, negative, or zero. The sign of the scalar product depends on the angle between the two vectors. If the angle is acute (less than 90 degrees), the scalar product is positive. If the angle is obtuse (greater than 90 degrees), the scalar product is negative. If the two vectors are perpendicular (90 degrees), the scalar product is zero.