What is the recession speed of a galaxy based on the wavelengths of two stars?

In summary, a group of friends discussed the speed of stars in a galaxy based on their wave lengths. They found that two stars had speeds of 4011 km/s and 4999 km/s using Doppler shift. They wanted to calculate the distance of the galaxy, but needed to know the recession speed, which could be estimated by averaging the redshifts of stars in different points of the galaxy. However, if the positions of the two stars in the galaxy are known, a better estimate could be made. Upon further calculation, the estimated recession speed was 4,505km/s and a distance of 60.1 Mpc was obtained. It is noted that the galaxy's published distance may differ from this estimate.
NebulaBilly
I have been having a conversation with a few friends, and we have been discussing the speed of stars in a galaxy base of the wave lengths. We have 2 stars measuring wave lengths 494.6nm and 494.2nm. At rest the wavelength is 486.1nm. From this we managed to deduce that the speed of both stars using Doppler shift is 4011 km/s and 4999 km/s. We then wanted to take this further and calculate the distance of this galaxy but to do this we need to know the recession speed of the galaxy, and we are just not sure how to get that answer, hopefully somebody here can shed abit of light onto it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The recession speed of the galaxy will be somewhat close to the speed of these stars. A better estimate would need more measurements of stars at different points of the galaxy.

If you know where those 2 stars lie in the galaxy, and you know that the galaxy is a disk, that could help you make a better estimate. (If it's not a disk, it's not clear that anything other than the average is a reasonable estimate, without a lot more information about it.)

For example, if they lie on opposite sides of its center, by equal apparent distances, then their mean is probably as good an estimate as you can hope for. Conversely, if one of them is much closer to the center, then that star's speed alone may be a better estimate than their average.

Hi thanks for your reply, i thought maybe a good way would be to calculate the redshift, then x it by speed of light, this gave me around 900km/s

NebulaBilly said:
Hi thanks for your reply, i thought maybe a good way would be to calculate the redshift, then x it by speed of light
Yes, that is what you presumably did in your OP. But you asked about the galaxy's recession speed (and then its distance), so my answer was to help you get the galaxy's speed from the stars' speeds. (You could just as well average the redshifts themselves by the procedure I described, and multiply afterward by the speed of light -- the distributivity property of multiplication. ;-)

this gave me around 900km/s
Why 900 here vs. 4011 & 4999 in your OP?

Hi JMz yeah 900 but i think its because we did it incorrectly. If i do the mean like you suggest as the stars are opposite side of galaxy so mean would work, the recession speed would be 4,505km/s and then we would get a distance of 60.1 MPC

Souds good. I imagine this galaxy already has a published distance somewhere. Did you check if 60 Mpc is about right?

Likes NebulaBilly and mfb
All looks good atleast can see how they got there now, sometimes the simplest way seems the most difficult.

What is the recession speed of a galaxy?

The recession speed of a galaxy refers to the rate at which the galaxy is moving away from us. This is measured in kilometers per second and is a result of the expansion of the universe.

How do scientists measure the recession speed of a galaxy?

Scientists use a technique called redshift to measure the recession speed of a galaxy. This involves measuring the shift in the wavelengths of light emitted from the galaxy due to its motion away from us.

What factors affect the recession speed of a galaxy?

The recession speed of a galaxy is primarily affected by the distance between the galaxy and us, as well as the expansion rate of the universe. The greater the distance and expansion rate, the higher the recession speed.

Can the recession speed of a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the recession speed of a galaxy can change over time. This is due to the expansion rate of the universe changing and the gravitational pull of nearby galaxies affecting the motion of the galaxy.

Why is studying the recession speed of galaxies important?

Studying the recession speed of galaxies is important because it provides valuable information about the expansion of the universe and the distribution of matter within it. It also helps scientists understand the evolution of galaxies and the overall structure of the universe.