What is the recoil energy of a nucleus produced in its first energy level?

In summary, recoil energy is the kinetic energy gained by a nucleus or particle when it is accelerated or recoils in response to a force or interaction. It can be calculated using the equation E = (1/2)mv^2 and is important in understanding the behavior of particles in various fields of science. High recoil energy can also affect the stability of a nucleus and can be measured experimentally using techniques such as particle accelerators, detectors, and spectroscopy.
Adams2020
Homework Statement
Using the data of Table, what is the recoil energy of a 17O nucleus produced in its first energy level?
Relevant Equations
Table:
1.png

To solve, using the conservation of energy:
2.png

E0=(m(deutron)+m(16O)-m(17O)-m(p))c^2
so:
E0=(2.014+15.994-16.999-1.008)931.5=0.93 MeV.
so using the conservation of energy:
14.95+0.93=16.62+0+E'
E'=- 0.74 MeV

But the energy sign has become negative. I also calculated for the first excited level, it was negative again. I do not know what is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might need more accuracy in computing ## E_o ##.
I googled ## m_p ## and got 1.0073.
For the deuteron I got 2.0135.
For O 16 I got 15.9949.
I think this makes the answer small but positive.

Last edited:

1. What is recoil energy?

Recoil energy is the energy that a nucleus or particle gains when it moves in the opposite direction to the direction of the initial energy transfer. It is often associated with the conservation of momentum in a collision.

2. How is recoil energy calculated?

Recoil energy can be calculated using the equation E = (p^2)/2m, where E is the recoil energy, p is the momentum of the nucleus or particle, and m is its mass. This equation is based on the conservation of momentum and energy principles.

3. What is the first energy level of a nucleus?

The first energy level of a nucleus is the lowest energy state that a nucleus can occupy. It is also known as the ground state and is the starting point for calculating the recoil energy of a nucleus.

4. How does the recoil energy of a nucleus change in different energy levels?

The recoil energy of a nucleus increases as it moves to higher energy levels. This is because the momentum of the nucleus also increases as it gains energy, according to the equation E = (p^2)/2m.

5. What factors can affect the recoil energy of a nucleus in its first energy level?

The recoil energy of a nucleus in its first energy level can be affected by the mass and momentum of the nucleus, as well as the energy of the initial transfer. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the presence of other particles or forces acting on the nucleus.