What is the relationship between proton energy and temperature in the Sun?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the energy of a proton in the sun. The formula E=3/2kT was mentioned, but the textbook only uses E=kT. However, there will be a distribution of energies, so this formula is still valid. The conversation also touched on the nature of the sun, clarifying that it is a ball of plasma and not a solid or liquid.
rjs523
Hi

I'm trying to calculate the energy of a proton in the sun. I know the temperature so I thought to use the equation E=3/2kT but in my textbook it says that I should only use E=kT. I don't understand why this is because surely each proton has 3 degrees of freedom?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it was the formula to calculate the kinetic energy of a gas..??

edo1493 said:
I thought it was the formula to calculate the kinetic energy of a gas..??

It is... The sun is a gas.

I thought it was an hot ball, formed by matter and gas.

edo1493 said:
I thought it was an hot ball, formed by matter and gas.

Can you elaborate on the "matter that is not a gas" in the Sun?

I thought that there was something solid, but this is a completely misunderstanding, cause the high temperature nothing could be in the solid form. .-. ?

Right. Sun is a ball of plasma. Plasma - in many aspects - is similar to gas. No solids nor liquids there.

Ok, thank you.

Related to What is the relationship between proton energy and temperature in the Sun?

1. What is the source of energy for protons in the Sun?

The primary source of energy for protons in the Sun is nuclear fusion. This process involves the fusion of hydrogen atoms to form helium, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

2. How do protons in the Sun generate energy?

Protons in the Sun generate energy through a process called the proton-proton chain. This involves the fusion of four hydrogen nuclei (protons) to form one helium nucleus, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays, positrons, and neutrinos.

3. What is the average energy of protons in the Sun?

The average energy of protons in the Sun is approximately 0.4 MeV (million electron volts). However, the energy of individual protons can range from 0.1 to 10 MeV.

4. How does the energy of protons in the Sun impact Earth and other planets?

The energy of protons in the Sun plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of our solar system. It also drives the Sun's radiation and solar wind, which can affect the Earth's climate and cause auroras. Additionally, the Sun's energy provides the necessary conditions for life to exist on Earth.

5. Can the energy of protons in the Sun be harnessed for human use?

While the energy of protons in the Sun is incredibly powerful, it is not currently feasible for humans to harness it for use on Earth. However, scientists are continuously researching and developing ways to replicate the Sun's energy production through nuclear fusion for potential use as a clean and sustainable energy source.