What is the relationship between torque, linear force, and rolling resistance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rolling resistance and how it differs from static frictional force. It also brings up the idea of how applying different forces can affect an object's movement and the role of torque in this process. The conversation also touches on the influence of an object's shape and surface on rolling resistance.
aspodkfpo
Homework Statement
Is the rolling resistance when something is moving the same as the maximum rolling resistance for when it is still?
Relevant Equations
n/a
Say that I have a round object on a table and it is still. If I apply a force and it doesn't move the resistive force is rolling resistance rather than a frictional force right?

Now I must be able to apply forces in different amounts until it exceeds a boundary for the object to move similar to static frictional force, right?
I would assume that this boundary point is the rolling resistance as something moves, as every new point on the circle is essentially a new stationary point?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I put a large spherical rock in the middle of a dirt playing field, it takes considerable force to move it.

If it starts moving by sliding, then it is static frictional force first being overcome. If it begins to move by rolling, then it is rolling resistance that is first overcome.

Much might depend on how/where the force is applied to the object. If I apply a linear force low enough, static friction will be overcome first, and it might actually begin to roll backwards, as illustrated by 'english' being put on a billiard ball. If I apply only torque and enough of it to exceed the static resistance, it will begin to slide backwards with forward rolling, illustrated by a car peeling out.

aspodkfpo said:
Homework Statement:: Is the rolling resistance when something is moving the same as the maximum rolling resistance for when it is still?
Relevant Equations:: n/a

Say that I have a round object on a table and it is still. If I apply a force and it doesn't move the resistive force is rolling resistance rather than a frictional force right?

Now I must be able to apply forces in different amounts until it exceeds a boundary for the object to move similar to static frictional force, right?
I would assume that this boundary point is the rolling resistance as something moves, as every new point on the circle is essentially a new stationary point?
"Rolling Resistance" for most wheels and tires is a combination of bearing friction and tire (and ground) deformation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

aspodkfpo said:
It depends.

I rather like the example of a spherical boulder in the middle of a field. That spherical boulder sits in a little divot. It made that divot by the action of its own weight making a shallow impression in the soil.

In order to roll the boulder, you have to roll it up over the lip of its divot hole. That requires some torque. That torque is "rolling resistance".

Now the question arises -- if you get the boulder rolling at speed, will it have time to keep extending its depression into a trench at that same depth as the starting divot? Or will it be rolling in a trench with a depth that depends on rolling speed?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Another complication is if it is not perfectly round. If it is resting on a bit of a flat then it will take some extra force to get it going, but once it has sufficient momentum you only need to supply enough force/work to meet the average need over a revolution.
Note that, conversely, it could be resting on a slightly high point, so rolling resistance could increase.

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444
Halc said:
If I put a large spherical rock in the middle of a dirt playing field, it takes considerable force to move it.

If it starts moving by sliding, then it is static frictional force first being overcome. If it begins to move by rolling, then it is rolling resistance that is first overcome.

Much might depend on how/where the force is applied to the object. If I apply a linear force low enough, static friction will be overcome first, and it might actually begin to roll backwards, as illustrated by 'english' being put on a billiard ball. If I apply only torque and enough of it to exceed the static resistance, it will begin to slide backwards with forward rolling, illustrated by a car peeling out.

Does torque and a linear force not have the same effect?

aspodkfpo said:
Depends what you mean by applying a torque. To exert a pure torque, i.e. no net linear force, the natural way is to exert two equal and opposite forces and on different lines of action.
This will not be exactly the same as applying any single linear force.

haruspex said:
Depends what you mean by applying a torque. To exert a pure torque, i.e. no net linear force, the natural way is to exert two equal and opposite forces and on different lines of action.
This will not be exactly the same as applying any single linear force.
What exactly is the difference? With the single linear force there is compression of the circle and with torque it just rotates about the spot?

Attachments

• 1598265271935.png
    1598265271935.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 124
aspodkfpo said:
What exactly is the difference? With the single linear force there is compression of the circle and with torque it just rotates about the spot?
You only show the two forces exerting the torque. Yes, it will rotate, accelerating, on the spot... assuming they are equally spaced from the mass centre.
If you take one away the rotational acceleration will halve, but there will also be a linear acceleration.
Did you intend other forces present?

haruspex said:
You only show the two forces exerting the torque. Yes, it will rotate, accelerating, on the spot... assuming they are equally spaced from the mass centre.
If you take one away the rotational acceleration will halve, but there will also be a linear acceleration.
Did you intend other forces present?
gravity and normal force. was wondering how torque and linear force differs, that's why I provided my explanation.

aspodkfpo said:
gravity and normal force.
And friction?

haruspex said:
And friction?

Yes.

aspodkfpo said:
Yes.
If you apply a pure torque to a wheel standing on a frictional surface then, up to the static friction limit, you may achieve just the same as with a single force. So in some circumstances it is equivalent in effect, but not in others.

Likes aspodkfpo
aspodkfpo said:
Imagine a pickup truck sitting on a frictionless surface, carrying a cannon.

Torque is the guy hitting the gas. The wheels all spin but the truck goes nowhere.

Linear force is firing the gun. The truck now moves but the wheels do not spin.

Put in friction, and the one motion blends with the other, and there is no big difference except perhaps heat loss if some of the friction is not static. Similar results from identical energy input.

Last edited:

1. What is static rolling resistance?

Static rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a stationary object when a force is applied to it. In the context of vehicles, it refers to the force that must be overcome to keep a vehicle moving at a constant speed.

2. How is static rolling resistance different from dynamic rolling resistance?

Static rolling resistance is the force that must be overcome to keep a stationary object moving, while dynamic rolling resistance is the force that must be overcome to keep a moving object moving at a constant speed. Dynamic rolling resistance takes into account factors such as acceleration, deceleration, and changes in direction.

3. What factors affect static rolling resistance?

Some of the factors that affect static rolling resistance include the weight of the object, the type and condition of the surface it is moving on, the type and condition of the tires or wheels, and the amount of force being applied to the object.

4. How can static rolling resistance be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce static rolling resistance, including using tires with lower rolling resistance, maintaining proper tire pressure, reducing the weight of the object, and using smoother and more even surfaces for the object to move on.

5. Why is reducing static rolling resistance important?

Reducing static rolling resistance can lead to improved fuel efficiency, which can save money and reduce carbon emissions. It can also improve the overall performance and handling of vehicles, making them safer to operate.