What is the resultant displacement of John on the interstate highway?

In summary, the problem involves finding John's resultant displacement from the 244 km marker on an interstate highway. John travels from the 244 km marker to the 145 km marker and then retraces his path to the 179 km marker. The answer can be found by calculating the difference between the final and initial positions, which is -65 km.
bigzee20
Hi everyone my first post! Iam stuck in this problem idk if iam getting the answer right. My solution was 133 is this correct? Thanks for your help.

Homework Statement

While John is traveling along a straight interstate highway, he notices that the mile marker reads 244 km. John travels until he reaches the 145 km marker and then retraces his path to the 179 km marker.
What is John's resultant displacement from the 244 km marker? Answer in units of km.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me please?

This has to do with vector addition.

The easiest way to do this problem would be to compare the starting and ending points. The answer you're trying to find is the difference between final position and initial position.

I got it man is -65. THANKS! I really appreciate it let's c if i don't get stuck in any other questions lol.

No problem

1. What is resultant displacement?

Resultant displacement is a vector quantity that represents the overall change in position of an object. It takes into account both the magnitude (distance) and direction of the displacement.

2. How is resultant displacement calculated?

To calculate resultant displacement, you need to first determine the individual displacement vectors. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant displacement. This involves adding the x and y components of each vector to find the total horizontal and vertical displacements.

3. What is the difference between resultant displacement and total distance?

Resultant displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of the displacement, while total distance is a scalar quantity that only represents the total amount of distance traveled without considering direction. Resultant displacement can be equal to, greater than, or less than the total distance traveled.

4. Can resultant displacement be negative?

Yes, resultant displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object has traveled in the opposite direction of the displacement vector. For example, if an object moves 5 meters to the right and then 3 meters to the left, its resultant displacement would be -2 meters to the left.

5. What is the importance of resultant displacement in physics?

Resultant displacement is important in physics because it allows us to accurately describe an object's overall change in position. It is also used in many equations and calculations related to motion and forces, such as velocity and acceleration.