Help with physical sci problems

• Thread starter heatherly1004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary: The conversation was about a student asking for help with physical science problems. The problems involved calculating the distance between two ants racing across a table and the displacement of a person traveling along a highway. The summary of the conversation is that for the first problem, the distance between the two ants is 18.4 cm, and for the second problem, the person traveled a total of 122 km from the starting point.
heatherly1004
Help with physical sci problems!

Hey i was just wondering if any of you knew how to do these problems... i have homework due and i don't understand these

thanks so much!

1. 2 ants race across a table 67 cm long. One travels at 4.14 cm/s and the other at 3 cm/s. When the first one crosses the finish line, how far behind is the second one? Answer in units of cm.

2.While John is traveling along a straight interstate highway, he notices that the mile marker reads 252 km. John travels until he reaches the 149 km marker and then retraces his path to the 168 km marker.
What is Johns resultant displacement from the 252 km marker? answer in units of km

Physics news on Phys.org
For number 1 i get 18 cm not sure about 2nd one but i rounded down on the answerd but if you did it without rounding it is 18.449275362318 or so my calculator says. to find this you need to find how long it takes both of them to cross than figure out the difference and from there you can figure out how far behind the 2nd one is

thank you so much!

so it was 18.4 cm right

Ant 1 crosses at t = d/v = 67/4.14 = 16.18s

Ant 2 will be at d = vt = (3)(16.18) = 48.54cm from the start line

67cm (finish line) - 48.54 = 18.46cm behind

For 2

John is at 252km, he keeps going to reach 168km, so so far he has travelled:

252km - 149km = 103km in the forward direction

He then turns around and goes back to 168, travelling

168 - 149 = 19km in the backward direction

So from the 252 marker, he went 103km forwards and 19km backwards.

+103 - 19km = 84km from the 252km marker

Ans = 84km

I was close just my ti-92 has to be to scientific with math

i typed 84 into the computer because i turn in my homework online, and it said that 84 was incorrect?

I was sure that 84 was the answer??

Try -84? He's 84km from the 252km marker, but he traveled a total of 122km.

oh ok, yea the next question asked for the distance which is 122.

ill try -84

1. What is physical science?

Physical science is a branch of science that studies the natural world and its phenomena, including matter, energy, and their interactions. It includes subjects such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

2. What are some common problems in physical science?

Some common problems in physical science include understanding complex concepts such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism, conducting experiments accurately, and making accurate predictions based on data.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physical science?

You can improve your understanding of physical science by actively engaging in class lectures and discussions, reading textbooks and scientific articles, and practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

4. What are some tips for solving physical science problems?

Some tips for solving physical science problems include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using diagrams and visual aids, and double-checking your work for errors.

5. What resources are available for getting help with physical science problems?

There are many resources available for getting help with physical science problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and asking a teacher or professor for assistance. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions before exams.