What is the rotational velocity of the crank?

In summary, the question asks for the rotational velocity of the crank handle when a bucket of water falls 13 m to the bottom of a well. Using conservation of energy, we can determine that the final kinetic energy of the system is equal to the initial potential energy of the bucket. We can then use the equations for rotational velocity and centripetal acceleration to solve for the rotational velocity in terms of the linear velocity of the bucket. Plugging in the given values and solving for the final answer in terms of Wv (unit s^-1), we get the correct answer for the rotational velocity. It is important to avoid plugging in numbers until the final step and to type out the algebra instead of posting images for easier readability and commenting.
Lauren Wright

Homework Statement

You accidentally knock a full bucket of water off the side of the well. The bucket plunges 13 m to the bottom of the well. Attached to the bucket is a light rope that is wrapped around the crank cylinder. The cylinder has a radius of 0.085 m and inertia of 4.0 kg. The inertia of the bucket plus water is 12 kg.
How fast is the handle turning when the bucket hits the bottom?
the answer should be in terms of Wv (unit s^-1)

Homework Equations

V(omega)=s/r (where s is distance traveled around circle and r is radius)
Wv(rotational velocity)=(change in V)/(change it time)
Wv=(Vt (tangential velocity))/r
Ac (centripetal acceleration)=(V^2)/r
Ug(gravitational potential energy)=mgh (where h is change in height)
K=1/2(I)(Wv)^2
I=(mR^2)/2 (where R is radius and I is the rotational inertia of a cylinder)
*there could be more but I think I covered everything

The Attempt at a Solution

https://goo.gl/ILj9hk <----- url for a picture of my work, ignore bottom page, it is for a different problem
I know the answer is not 8.14 s^-1, which is what I originally got[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lauren, you say that you know your answer is wrong; so, do you know the correct answer?

You should be able to solve this using conservation of energy.
Initially, you have potential energy only.
Finally, you have the kinetic energy of the linear motion of the bucket and water plus
the rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder.
Apparently you are not asked to consider the rotational KE of the crank.

Lauren Wright said:
url for a picture of my work,
Too hard to read. Please do not post images of your algebra. Only use images for extracts from textbooks and diagrams. Take the trouble to type your algebra into the post. That makes it much easier to read and easier to comment on specific items.
Also, avoid plugging in numbers until the final step. Keeping everything symbolic (creating variable names as necessary for given data) has many advantages.

1. What is rotational velocity?

Rotational velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is the rotational velocity of the crank calculated?

The rotational velocity of the crank can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement of the crank by the time it takes to complete that rotation. This is represented by the formula: ω = θ/Δt, where ω is the rotational velocity, θ is the angular displacement, and Δt is the time taken.

3. What factors can affect the rotational velocity of the crank?

The rotational velocity of the crank can be affected by factors such as the length of the crank, the force applied to it, and the friction between the crank and its axis of rotation. Other factors like the weight and shape of the object attached to the crank can also impact its rotational velocity.

4. Why is knowing the rotational velocity of the crank important?

Knowing the rotational velocity of the crank is important in understanding the movement and behavior of machines and mechanical systems. It helps in determining the power and speed of rotation, which can affect the performance and efficiency of the system.

5. How can the rotational velocity of the crank be measured?

The rotational velocity of the crank can be measured using various tools and techniques such as a tachometer, a stroboscope, or by analyzing video footage. These methods can provide accurate measurements of the rotational velocity in real-time or after recording the movement.