What is the significance of F less than Fmax in the strong nuclear force graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving adding the electrostatic force to a graph showing the forces between two protons. The question is worth three marks, with one mark given for a shape resembling 1/r^2, one mark for staying above the x-axis, and the final mark for crossing the strong nuclear force for F less than Fmax. The significance of this final marking point is unclear, as it is not specified why the two forces should cross at this particular point. It is possible that the electrostatic force could be shifted to the right to avoid crossing the strong nuclear force line, but this would not accurately reflect the behavior of the forces at that point.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

http://www.boredofstudies.org/wiki/images/b/bb/Sci_phys_quanta_strong_force.png
I had a question where I was given the strong nuclear force graph and asked to add the electrostatic force to the graph. It was a graph showing the forces between two protons. It was a three mark question. 1 mark is given for a shape that resembles 1/r^2. 1 mark is for making sure it stays above the x-axis. The final mark is for making sure it crosses the strong nuclear force for F less than Fmax. It is this final mark I am unclear about. What does it mean for F less than Fmax? Why does it have to cross at this particular point?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Read around textbooks and fully understand first two marking points.

Fmax could be the maximal attractive force, but I don't see why the two forces should cross below that (as absolute values). Maybe they just have to cross somewhere.

mfb said:
Fmax could be the maximal attractive force, but I don't see why the two forces should cross below that (as absolute values). Maybe they just have to cross somewhere.

Thanks. Is there any significance of the electrostatic crossing the strong nuclear? I just don't see why this is a specific marking point for that question? What would be the problem drawing the electrostatic shifted to the right so that it doesn't cross the strong nuclear force line at all?

Well, it does cross it, but at that point the electromagnetic force is not an easy 1/r^2-potential any more so this simplified picture breaks down anyway.

1. What is the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for holding together the subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, within the nucleus of an atom.

2. How does the strong nuclear force work?

The strong nuclear force works by binding the quarks, which are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, together to form these particles. It is mediated by particles called gluons, which act as carriers of the force between quarks.

3. Can the strong nuclear force be seen or measured?

No, the strong nuclear force cannot be directly seen or measured. It is a very short-range force, only acting within the nucleus of an atom, and is much stronger than the other fundamental forces. It can only be observed through its effects on particles.

4. How does the strong nuclear force contribute to the stability of atoms?

The strong nuclear force is essential for the stability of atoms. Without it, the repulsive forces between positively charged protons in the nucleus would cause them to fly apart. The strong nuclear force overcomes this repulsion and keeps the nucleus intact, thus allowing atoms to exist.

5. Can the strength of the strong nuclear force be changed?

The strength of the strong nuclear force is constant and cannot be changed. It is a fundamental force of nature and is not affected by external factors. However, the strength of the force between two particles can be altered by changing the distance between them.