What is the significance of p being prime in proving Fermat's Theorem?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the proof of Fermat's theorem states that if p is a prime number and a is not a multiple of p, then the product of all nonzero elements in Z_p multiplied by a is equal to the product of all nonzero elements in Z_p. This is because all elements in the first product are distinct and not equal to 0, and the second product contains all nonzero elements in Z_p in a specific order. The restriction that p does not divide a must also be stated in the proof.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

In proving Fermats Theorm, I got confused trying to follow one of the steps.

Theorm: If p is prime, then:
a^p~a (mod p).

part of proof:
multiply all the nonzero elements in Z_p by a to obtain
[a][1],[a][2],...,[a][p-1].
These are all distinct elements and none equal [0], so they must be the set of all nonzero elements [1],[2],...,[p-1] in some order. In particular, the products are the same and we obtain
([a]^(p-1))([1],[2],...,[p-1]) = ([1],[2],...,[p-1])

That fact that those last parts equal each other is confusing me, help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you mean ([a]^(p-1))([1][2]...[p-1]) = ([1][2]...[p-1])?

And if that is what you mean, does your question still stand?

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

In proving Fermats Theorm, I got confused trying to follow one of the steps.

Theorm: If p is prime, then:
a^p~a (mod p).

part of proof:
multiply all the nonzero elements in Z_p by a to obtain
[a][1],[a][2],...,[a][p-1].
These are all distinct elements and none equal [0], so they must be the set of all nonzero elements [1],[2],...,[p-1] in some order. In particular, the products are the same and we obtain
([a]^(p-1))([1],[2],...,[p-1]) = ([1],[2],...,[p-1])

That fact that those last parts equal each other is confusing me, help?
Firstly, you can consider Euler's theorem too.
So we know that the set Q = { a*a_1 , a*a_2, .., a*a_p-1 } includes all elements in the set B = {a_1, a_2, .., a_p-1 } in mod p.
We know that from the property that
" if (a,p) = 1, we can get rid of the a in the equation :
a*a_i = a*a_j (mod p) ⇔ a_i = a_j (mod p) "

Which means that all elements in Q are distinct. And they are equal to one and only one of the elements in B.

So we get

(a*a_1) * (a*a_2) * .. * (a*a_p-1 ) = a_1 * a_2 *..* a_p-1 (mod p)
=>
a^(p-1) * A = A (mod p)
=>
a^(p-1) = 1 (mod p).

end of the proof.

1MileCrash said:
Don't you mean ([a]^(p-1))([1][2]...[p-1]) = ([1][2]...[p-1])?

And if that is what you mean, does your question still stand?

In addition to what is said above, you will need to state this restriction on the part you are doing: ##p## does not divide ##a##, or ##p \nmid a##.

The case of p divides a, ##p \mid a##, will need to be discussed separately.

As I told above;
" if (a,p) = 1, we can get rid of the a in the equation :
a*a_i = a*a_j (mod p) ⇔ a_i = a_j (mod p) "
you can't get rid of a if you don't have (a,p) = 1 property. And that prop. is given in the theorem.

thelema418 said:
In addition to what is said above, you will need to state this restriction on the part you are doing: ##p## does not divide ##a##, or ##p \nmid a##.

The case of p divides a, ##p \mid a##, will need to be discussed separately.

This is true, it may be given in the assignment since this case is trivial.

OP, the key here is that if p is prime, and a and b are both not multiples of p, then ab is not a multiple of p. Do you see why this makes the left product one of p-1 distinct classes none of which are [0]?

1. What is Fermat's Theorem?

Fermat's Theorem, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

2. Who is Fermat and why is this theorem named after him?

Pierre de Fermat was a French mathematician who lived in the 17th century. He is known for his contributions to number theory, and this theorem is named after him because he first wrote about it in a margin of a book, claiming to have a proof for it.

3. What is the significance of the proof of Fermat's Theorem?

The proof of Fermat's Theorem was a major achievement in mathematics as it had remained unsolved for over 350 years. It also helped pave the way for further developments in number theory and other fields of mathematics.

4. When was the proof of Fermat's Theorem finally solved?

The proof of Fermat's Theorem was finally solved in 1994 by Andrew Wiles, a British mathematician. However, the proof was initially flawed and it took Wiles another year to correct it and provide a complete and correct proof.

5. Can you explain the significance of the statement "I have discovered a truly marvellous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain" which was written by Fermat in the margin of his book?

This statement is significant because it is what sparked the interest and efforts of mathematicians to solve Fermat's Theorem. It also adds to the mystery and intrigue surrounding the theorem, as it suggests that Fermat did indeed have a proof but never shared it with anyone.