What is the solution to the garden cart torque problem?

In summary: I get 510 also.Ok, thanks, I think I got this one. I set the pivot point at the edge of the cliff, and the arm from that to the center...now where's the cosine?
akan

Homework Statement

A garden cart loaded with firewood is being pushed horizontally when it encounters a step 8.0 cm high, as shown in the figure. The mass of the cart and its load is 56 kg, and the cart is balanced so that its center of mass is directly over the axle. The wheel diameter is 60 cm.

Homework Equations

F = mg cos (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

The angle theta upon which the force is going to act when the cart goes up the slope is:

(R -h) / (sqrt((R - h)2 + (h^2))

Multiplied by mg:

mg * (R -h) / (sqrt((R - h)2 + (h^2)) =
56 * 9.8 * (.3-.08)/sqrt((.3-.08)^2 + .08^2) = 515.75686308

Rounded to two significant figures, this is 520.

Mastering physics says the answer is 510. How come?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
akan said:
A garden cart loaded with firewood is being pushed horizontally when it encounters a step 8.0 cm high, as shown in the figure. The mass of the cart and its load is 56 cm, and the cart is balanced so that its center of mass is directly over the axle. The wheel diameter is 60 cm.

Hi akan! :smile:

erm … what is the question asking you to find? :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Hi akan! :smile:

erm … what is the question asking you to find? :redface:

Oh! That would be an important piece of information, wouldn't it?

Q: What is the minimum horizontal force that will get the cart up the step?

may the force be with you …

akan said:
Oh! That would be an important piece of information, wouldn't it?

:approve: ah! the force is strong in this one! :approve:
akan said:
(R -h) / (sqrt((R - h)2 + (h^2))

What triangle did you get that from? :confused:

Hint: draw the forces on the axle, take moments about the step, and choose the correct triangle! (or, at least, one that actually exists :wink:)
Mastering physics says the answer is 510. How come?

I get 510 also.

Ok, thanks, I think I got this one. I set the pivot point at the edge of the cliff, and the arm from that to the center...

1. What is a garden cart torque problem?

A garden cart torque problem refers to the difficulty or challenge of moving a garden cart when it is full or when going uphill. Torque is the measure of the force needed to rotate an object around an axis, and in this case, it refers to the force required to move the garden cart.

2. What causes a garden cart torque problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to a garden cart torque problem. These include the weight of the load in the cart, the terrain or slope of the ground, and the condition of the wheels and axles of the cart. Additionally, the length of the handle and the height of the cart can also impact the torque needed to move it.

3. How can I reduce the torque needed to move a garden cart?

One way to reduce the torque needed to move a garden cart is by distributing the weight evenly in the cart. This can be achieved by packing the load tightly and keeping it low to the ground. Another way is to choose a garden cart with larger wheels, which can make it easier to push or pull the cart over uneven terrain.

4. Is there a limit to the weight a garden cart can hold?

Yes, there is a limit to the weight a garden cart can hold. Most garden carts have a weight capacity listed by the manufacturer, and it is important to follow this limit to avoid strain on the cart and potential accidents. Overloading a garden cart can also increase the torque needed to move it, making it more difficult to use.

5. Are there any tips for using a garden cart to avoid torque problems?

Yes, there are a few tips for using a garden cart to avoid torque problems. First, try to avoid overloading the cart and distribute the weight evenly. Second, choose a cart with larger wheels and sturdy axles. Third, when going uphill, it can be helpful to tilt the cart backwards and pull it instead of pushing. Lastly, regularly maintain the cart, including the wheels and axles, to ensure smooth movement.