What is the solution to this inclined plane problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the angle on an inclined plane and using the equation fnet=ma. The person asking for help is unsure of what to do next, but the other person suggests using conservation of energy or finding the acceleration of the block.
drdevil52

Homework Statement

This problem asks for the angle on an inclined plane-- I have attached the problem below.

Homework Equations

fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea what to do. I found the vector components for gravity and made a FBD for the box, but I can't really figure out what the next step is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 7.23.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 7.23.49 PM.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with conservation of energy? You can find the kinetic energy of the block at the bottom of the ramp, this must be equal to the gravitational potential energy at the top of the ramp, you can solve for the height of the ramp, then find theta using trig.

Alternatively, find the acceleration of the block from the distance and the final speed.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is at an angle to the horizontal. It is commonly used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height.

How do you find theta on an inclined plane?

To find theta (the angle of inclination) on an inclined plane, divide the height of the plane by the length of the plane and take the inverse tangent of that value. This will give you the angle in radians.

What is the purpose of finding theta on an inclined plane?

Finding theta on an inclined plane is important in understanding how much force is needed to lift an object on the plane. It also helps in calculating the mechanical advantage of using an inclined plane.

What factors affect the value of theta on an inclined plane?

The value of theta on an inclined plane is affected by the height and length of the plane, as well as the weight of the object being lifted. Friction and the angle of the plane can also affect the value of theta.

Can theta ever be greater than 90 degrees on an inclined plane?

No, theta cannot be greater than 90 degrees on an inclined plane. This is because the angle of inclination is always measured from the horizontal, and a 90 degree angle would mean the plane is completely vertical.