What is the speed of an object with a momentum of <-1,-2,3>?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum and speed of an object with a mass of 2kg, given a momentum vector of p=<-1,-2,3>. The magnitude of the momentum is found to be 3.74 and the corresponding unit vector is <-0.267,-0.535,0.802>. The conversation also mentions the confusion over how to determine the speed of the object using the unit vector. The correct approach is to multiply the given momentum vector by 2 and then take the magnitude. The conversation ends with a reminder to always write out units to avoid mistakes.
Liam Corbin

Homework Statement

Givens:
An object with a mass of 2kg has a momentum of p=<-1,-2,3>. The first two questions asked for the magnitude of the momentum and the corresponding unit vector, which i found to be 3.74 and <-0.267,-0.535,0.802> respectively. The next question asks for the speed of the object, which is where i am having trouble. I've looked everywhere for how to determine the speed of an object from its unit vector and cannot seem to find an answer. I believe I am either overlooking something simple or am simply missing a vital piece of information.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that you need to use the unit vector?

As i was typing out "but its the only thing i was given" i realized i totally forgot about the first vector set. So the correct thing to do would be to multiply the <-1,-2,3> by 2, and then take the magnitude of that? Sorry for the original post I am under a lot of stress as its a sort of pop quiz that we have limited time to finish.

Liam Corbin said:
So the correct thing to do would be to multiply the <-1,-2,3> by 2, and then take the magnitude of that?
What is the relation between velocity and momentum?

Also, always (always!) write out the units. It will help you avoid easily spotted mistakes such as this one.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector (a quantity that has both magnitude and direction) that has a magnitude of exactly 1. This means that the length or size of the vector is 1, and it is often used to represent a direction or orientation in space.

2. How is the speed of a unit vector calculated?

The speed of a unit vector is not calculated, as it is not a quantity that has a speed. A unit vector simply represents a direction or orientation, and does not have a velocity or rate of change.

3. Can a unit vector have a negative speed?

No, a unit vector does not have a speed or velocity, so it cannot be negative. It simply represents a direction or orientation in space, and does not have a magnitude or magnitude with a direction that can be positive or negative.

4. How is a unit vector different from a regular vector?

A unit vector has a magnitude of exactly 1, while a regular vector can have any magnitude. Additionally, a unit vector represents a direction or orientation, while a regular vector can represent any physical quantity with a magnitude and direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of unit vectors?

Unit vectors are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in physics for representing forces and velocities, in computer graphics for representing 3D rotations, and in navigation and GIS for representing directions and orientations in space.