What is the sum of the two separate series in the original infinite series?

In summary, the given series is convergent, and its sum is the sum of two separate geometric series, with a value of 1/3 and 2/3 respectively. The formula for determining the convergence of a geometric series is a(r)^(n-1) = a / (1-r), where r < 1 indicates convergence and r > 1 indicates divergence. Paying attention to the details, such as the limits on summations, is crucial in solving problems like this.
MarcL

Homework Statement

Determine whether the serie is convergent or divergent , if it is convergent find its sum.

Ʃn=1 (1 + 2n )/ 3n

Homework Equations

Ʃa(r)n-1 = a / (1-r) r < 1 is converging or if r > 1 diverging

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can see its a geometric series so i did Ʃ (1/3)^n + (2/3)^n and r < 1 therefore its convergent but I can't figure out the a. I thought it would be one but the answer key says 1/3 and 2/3 as the a for both series

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the serie is convergent or divergent , if it is convergent find its sum.

Ʃn=1 (1 + 2n )/ 3n

Homework Equations

Well I can see its a geometric series so i did Ʃ (1/3)^n + (2/3)^n and r < 1 therefore its convergent but I can't figure out the a. I thought it would be one but the answer key says 1/3 and 2/3 as the a for both series

Find the sum for (1/3)^n and (2/3)^n separately and then add them. They don't have to have a common value of a. The whole series isn't geometric. Only the parts are.

Oh I know I mean, the a value for (1/3)^n is said to be 1/3 while the one for (2/3)^n is said to be 2/3. I don't understand how the this came to be. I thought a in each case was 1

MarcL said:
Oh I know I mean, the a value for (1/3)^n is said to be 1/3 while the one for (2/3)^n is said to be 2/3. I don't understand how the this came to be. I thought a in each case was 1

Your formula in the "Relevant equations" section isn't right or wrong until you put some limits on the summation like you did in the problem statement. What are they?

oh sorry its n=1 to infinity. My bad I hadn't notice that!

MarcL said:
oh sorry its n=1 to infinity. My bad I hadn't notice that!

Then that makes the a's what the problem solution suggests, right?

Likes 1 person
I feel so dumb... I was so use to n-1 I assumed right away r = 1 due to the exponent for the first term. Dear, let's hope rest will make me smarter for my final. Thanks a lot Dick for bearing through this question haha!

MarcL said:
I feel so dumb... I was so use to n-1 I assumed right away r = 1 due to the exponent for the first term. Dear, let's hope rest will make me smarter for my final. Thanks a lot Dick for bearing through this question haha!

You are pretty smart if you figured that out so quickly given the hint. You'll do fine. Just pay attention to details. Like limits on summations.

Last edited:
MarcL said:

Homework Statement

Ʃn=1 (1 + 2n )/ 3n

Homework Equations

Don't forget that an infinite series is defined as the limit of a finite sum, so
[tex] S = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1+2^n}{3^n} [/tex]
is defined as
[tex] S = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1+2^n}{3^n} [/tex]
For finite N the sum can be split into two obvious parts, and both parts converge separately as ##N \to \infty.## It follows that the original infinite series is the sum of the two separate series, each of which is a convergent geometric series.

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number known as the common ratio.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

To find the sum of a geometric series, you can use the formula S = a*(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the constant number that is multiplied to each term to get the next term in the series. It is typically denoted by the letter r.

4. Can a geometric series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a geometric series can have an infinite number of terms if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. In this case, the series will converge to a finite sum.

5. What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a limited number of terms, whereas an infinite geometric series has an unlimited number of terms. In addition, a finite geometric series will have a finite sum, while an infinite geometric series may or may not converge to a finite sum depending on the value of the common ratio.