What is the surface area of a triangular region with a specific equation?

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a surface above a triangle and the integrand is √(16y2+5). The solution involves integrating with respect to x first, using a simple substitution, and then using a trig substitution to integrate the remaining term.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface z=7+2x+2y2 that lies above the triangle with vertices (0,0) (0,1) and (2,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not a particularly difficult problem to set up, I just can't seem to get a simple integrand.

∫∫√(16y2+5) dA is what I come up with, and I'm not quite sure how to find the anti-derivative of that. dA=dy dx, 0<y<(x/2) & 0<x<2.

I can't do a u-sub because I don't have anything to cancel out dy with. I've looked in some integral tables also, and the closest thing I could think of would give me an arcsin function and I'm pretty sure that's not how I'm supposed to do it.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
First integrate with respect to x, you'll get a y factor from one of your limits. You can then do the integration with a simple substitution d(a y^2 + b) = 2y dy.

You'll have another term however with no "extra y". To integrate [itex]\sqrt{a y^2 + b}dy[/itex] you'll need a trig substitution.
First divide out the coefficient:
[itex]\sqrt{a(y^2+b/a)}[/itex]
and then its a matter of integrating [itex] \int \sqrt{y^2 + c^2}dy[/itex].
Try the trig substitution y = c * tan(theta).
(Or if you like hyperbolic trig, y = c * sinh(z).)

Thanks!

I integrated with respect to x first, and as it turned out, the y factor from my limit actually enabled me to do a simple u-substitution. The algebra was a little hairy, but the answer was correct!

Last edited:

Related to What is the surface area of a triangular region with a specific equation?

1. What is a surface area integral?

A surface area integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the surface area of a three-dimensional object. It involves breaking down the object into infinitesimally small pieces and summing up their surface areas to get the total surface area of the object.

2. How is a surface area integral different from a regular integral?

A surface area integral is a type of double integral, meaning it involves integrating over a two-dimensional region. It differs from a regular integral, which is a single integral, in that it calculates the surface area of a three-dimensional object rather than the area under a curve of a two-dimensional function.

3. What is the importance of surface area integrals in science?

Surface area integrals are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry. They are used to calculate the surface area of complex three-dimensional objects, which is essential for understanding their physical properties and behaviors.

4. How do you set up a surface area integral?

To set up a surface area integral, you first need to define the boundaries of the object in terms of two variables (usually x and y). Then, you determine the surface area element, which is a function of these two variables. Finally, you integrate the surface area element over the defined boundaries to get the total surface area of the object.

5. Are there any real-world applications of surface area integrals?

Yes, surface area integrals have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in engineering to calculate the surface area of complex shapes for designing structures or calculating heat transfer. They are also used in physics to determine the electric flux through a surface, and in chemistry to calculate the surface area of a particle for studying chemical reactions.