What is the tension at point A below the x-z plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a point A is below the x-z plane without a given distance. The speaker suggests using 3-D Pythagoras or normal Pythagoras to calculate the distance. It is also mentioned that the length of the wire can be expressed in terms of the coordinates of points A and B.
member 392791

So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how

Attachments

• problem 2.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 221
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how

use 3-D Pythagoras to calculate how far below the x-z plane the mass is each time. remember, the two masses are 18" apart.

If you don't understand 3-D Pythagoras, use normal Pythagoras on the 8" and c to find the direct distance across that void, the normal Pythagoras with the 18" cable/rod (or what ever it was) to calculate how far below the x-z plane A was in each case.

Last edited:
If (xA, yA, zA) and (xB, yB, zB) are the coordinates of A and B, respectively, how can you express the length of the wire in terms of these coordinates?

Here is my attempt

Attachments

• 2.99 attempt.pdf
    317.9 KB · Views: 212
Your work looks good, except you seem to have made a mistake in the final evaluation of T in part (a).

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the tension at point A below the x-z plane?

1. What is tension in a sliding rod?

Tension refers to the force that is exerted on a rod when it is pulled or stretched. In the case of a sliding rod, tension is created when there is a difference in the forces acting on either end of the rod, causing it to slide.

2. How does tension affect the sliding of a rod?

Tension plays a crucial role in the sliding of a rod. If the tension is too high, it can cause the rod to break or deform. On the other hand, if the tension is too low, the rod may not slide at all. It is important to find the right balance of tension for smooth sliding.

3. What factors can affect the tension in a sliding rod?

There are several factors that can affect the tension in a sliding rod. These include the weight of the rod, the material it is made of, the angle at which it is being pulled, and any external forces acting on the rod.

4. How can tension be calculated in a sliding rod?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rod, and A is the cross-sectional area of the rod. In a sliding rod, the tension can also be affected by the coefficient of friction between the rod and its supporting surface.

5. What are some practical applications of tension and sliding rods?

Tension and sliding rods have many practical applications, such as in bridges and other structures that need to withstand tension forces. They are also used in pulley systems, elevators, and other mechanical devices. Tension and sliding rods are also important in sports equipment, such as fishing rods and tennis rackets.