What is the tension in rope 2 when a dog pulls two sleds on snow?

• Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a sled dog pulling two sleds across the snow. The coefficient of friction between the sleds and the snow is given as 0.10. The question is to find the tension in rope 2, given a tension of 150 N in rope 1. The problem was solved using the equation for net force and acceleration, but the results differed due to the inclusion of friction. The person asking the question wonders why the link they provided did not take friction into account, yet still arrived at the correct answer.
oneamp

Homework Statement

The sled dog in figure drags sleds A and B across the snow. The coefficient of friction between the sleds and the snow is 0.10.

If the tension in rope 1 is 150 N, what is the tension in rope 2?

[Sled A, 100kg]---1----[Sled B, 80kg]--2--Dog pulling

This problem was solved here, but I want to know why I come up with different results. I see in the link that they did not account for the friction. Since mu is given, we should use friction, right? Why did they ignore it there and come up with the answer?

Homework Equations

Net force and a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

First I made axis for A, with normal A pointing up at 980N, F_G_a pointing down at -980, f_k_a (friction) pointing left, away from the dig, at -(.10)(980) = -98N. Tension on the rope to the right was 150 N. Sum, F_net_x_a = (150)-(98)=52 => a = 0.52 m/s^2

But that's not the acceleration given in the link. Like I said, they ignored friction, I did not. Why is ignoring friction resulting in the right answer?

[I won't continue to work the problem here because it will be wrong until I figure out the right acceleration.]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I correctly solved it using friction. But in the link, they got the same answer without friction...

What is sled dog racing?

Sled dog racing is a sport where a team of dogs pulls a sled and its musher (driver) over a specific distance. It is usually held in snowy and icy conditions and can range from short distance races to long-distance races.

What breeds of dogs are commonly used for sled dog racing?

The most common breeds used for sled dog racing are Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, and Alaskan Huskies. These breeds have thick fur, strong bodies, and a natural instinct to pull, making them well-suited for the sport.

How many dogs are typically on a sled dog team?

The number of dogs on a sled dog team varies depending on the race and distance, but the average team size is between 6-10 dogs. Some races allow for larger teams, while others have restrictions on team size.

How do sled dogs pull the sled?

Sled dogs are harnessed to the sled using a specialized harness and are trained to pull on command. The lead dog sets the pace and direction for the team, while the rest of the dogs follow and work together to pull the sled forward.

Is sled dog racing safe for the dogs?

Yes, sled dog racing is considered a safe and natural activity for these breeds. The dogs are well-trained and cared for by their mushers, and the races are closely monitored to ensure the safety and well-being of the dogs. Proper training, nutrition, and rest are crucial for the health and safety of the dogs during and after a race.