What is the total basal metabolism of this man over a 24 hour period?

In summary, the basal metabolism rate, in kcal/h, of a young man is given by the formula below, where t is the time in hours measured from 5:00 AM. The model predicts that the man's total basal metabolism will be 85 - 0.18cos(Pi*t/12), where ∫(0to24) R(t)dt equals ? kcal.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

A model for the basal metabolism rate, in kcal/h, of a young man is given by the formula below, where t is the time in hours measured from 5:00 AM. What is the total basal metabolism of this man over a 24 hour period?
R(t) = 85 - 0.18cos (Pi*t/12)
∫(0to24) R(t)dt= ? kcal

Homework Equations

The substitution rule??

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to R(t)=85-0.18cos((πt)/(12)) = ∫(85-0.18cos((πt)/(12)))dt but i want to know from here what is the part that i have to use the u-substitution and from there evaluate. At first i thought that u= (πt)/(12) which i think it equaled= 0.26167t than I'm left with ∫85.0-0.18cos(0.26180t) dt.

I went and looked around the internet just to confirm that my u substitution was right and i found a similar attempt to it. However, I am a little confused how this person reached from here ∫(85-0.18cos((πt)/(12)))dt to here 85.0t-0.68755sin0.26180t.

How did he get 0.68755sin?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, don't plug in numbers until the end. It just makes things ugly and cluttered. Do the u-substitution. Let u = πt/12. That way you can have an integral of the form cos(u)du, which you know how to evaluate. So, with this substitution:

- what is du in terms of dt?

- what do the limits of integration become?

ok let me seee... Let me know if I'm doing this right.

du=0.26167dt

∫85-0.18cos(u)du=∫-sin(u)? =∫85-0.18sin(0.26167t)

(85-0.18sin(0.266767(24))-(85-0.18sin(0.266767(0))

Is that right??

ScienceGeek24 said:
ok let me seee... Let me know if I'm doing this right.

du=0.26167dt

Again, don't compute decimal values for things, and then carry all those ugly digits through all of your steps. It's just unnecessary and clutters things up. What's wrong with writing this?[tex] du = \frac{\pi}{12}dt [/tex]So, wherever you see a dt in your original integral, replace it with [itex] \frac{12}{\pi}du[/itex]. You didn't answer my second question about the limits of integration (i.e. 0 hours and 24 hours). If t = 0 hr, then what is u equal to? This tells you the lower limit of your new integral. If t = 24 hr, what is u equal to? This tells you the upper limit of your new integral.

So far, after doing the substitution, we have [tex]\frac{12}{\pi} \int_?^
? (85 - 0.18\cos u)\,du [/tex]where I want you to fill in the ?'s

Let's address this part before moving on to the rest.

Last edited:
the ?'s are upper limit 24hours and lower limit 0 hours. I went right to the decimals because I did not know what du without taking the derivative was since is a fraction I was thinking in Quotient rule or product rule. I know i have to replace my du with what it is in my original integral but I'm not sure how did you flipped the fraction. I would love to see how did you do that.

ScienceGeek24 said:
the ?'s are upper limit 24hours and lower limit 0 hours.

:grumpy: ... Those are the limits of integration of the original integral, which was with respect to t. You need to figure out the limits of integration of the new integral, which, after the substitution, is now with respect to u. To determine these new limits, answer these questions:

- at t = 0, what is u equal to?
- at t = 24, what is u equal to?

ScienceGeek24 said:
I went right to the decimals because I did not know what du without taking the derivative was since is a fraction I was thinking in Quotient rule or product rule.

:confused: I actually have no idea what you are trying to say here.

If[tex] u = \frac{\pi}{12} t [/tex]then [tex]\frac{du}{dt} = \frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]Now, I want to emphasize that what I am about to write below is an abuse of notation, because we are NOT supposed to think of du/dt as being a fraction. Nevertheless, it's a pretty standard thing that you see see people doing when integrating by substitution, and it works. We can write the above as[tex]du = \frac{\pi}{12}dt[/tex]Now simply re-arranging the above equation in order to solve it for dt, you get [tex] dt = \frac{12}{\pi}du[/tex]
ScienceGeek24 said:
I know i have to replace my du with what it is in my original integral but I'm not sure how did you flipped the fraction. I would love to see how did you do that.

I did it by...basic algebra. As I explained above in boldface, all I did was rearrange the equation to solve for dt, so that I would know what to replace dt with.

nevermind i got what you were doing. However upper limit of u is t=24 u=pi/12(24)=2pi and lower limit of u is t=0 u=pi/12(0)=0 12/pi ∫upper limit (2pi) , lower limit (0) 85-0.18cos(u)du than what?

ScienceGeek24 said:
nevermind i got what you were doing. However upper limit of u is t=24 u=pi/12(24)=2pi and lower limit of u is t=0 u=pi/12(0)=0 12/pi ∫upper limit (2pi) , lower limit (0) 85-0.18cos(u)du than what?

Just out of curiosity, are you taking a course in integral calculus right now, or are you just attempting to teach yourself?

Regarding your question. Step 1 is this: you have a function that is actually a sum of two different terms. In fact you can consider them to be two different functions g(u) = 85 and f(u) = -0.18cos(u) that are being added together.

What is the integral of the sum of two different functions? [g(u) + f(u)]du = ?

I am taking calculus one and just learning integrals. Integral calculus is Cal 2 so no, I am not teaching my self integral calculus but I am trying to learn it. for the integral of g(u)=85=85u and for the integral of f(u)=-0.18cos(u)=-9/50sin(u).

∫ 85u-9/50∫ sin(u)

Note: cal 1 is learning how to differentiate. cal 2 is learning how to integrate. I am in baby steps towards cal 2.

cepheid said:
What is the integral of the sum of two different functions? [g(u) + f(u)]du = ?

The answer I was going for was that the integral of the sum of two functions is equal to the sum of the integrals of those two functions. I.e.

[g(u) + f(u)]du = g(u)du + f(u)du

I think that you know this, you just didn't say it outright.

ScienceGeek24 said:
I am taking calculus one and just learning integrals. Integral calculus is Cal 2 so no, I am not teaching my self integral calculus but I am trying to learn it. for the integral of g(u)=85=85u and for the integral of f(u)=-0.18cos(u)=-9/50sin(u).

ScienceGeek24 said:
∫ 85u-9/50∫ sin(u)

Umm, yeah, that's sort of correct. There are a couple of things wrong with your notation. You are missing the du's. Also, it's really weird that you still have the integration signs in there after you've finished integrating. You wouldn't include the integration sign anymore, because...you've already computed the integral. For instance, you'd write cos(u)du = -sin(u).

You would NOT write cos(u)du = - sin(u)du because this is just not true. The integral cos is not equal to the negative integral of sine. The integral of cos equals negative sine.

In any case, getting back to the problem at hand: now what needs to done? Remember that this is a definite integral that you are evaluating, which means that it has limits. You have to do something with those limits...

1. What is basal metabolism?

Basal metabolism, also known as basal metabolic rate (BMR), is the minimum amount of energy required to sustain essential physiological functions in the body while at rest. These functions include breathing, heart rate, and maintaining body temperature.

2. How is basal metabolism measured?

Basal metabolism can be measured through indirect calorimetry, which involves measuring the amount of oxygen consumed and carbon dioxide produced by the body at rest. This provides an estimate of the body's metabolic rate. Other methods include using equations based on factors such as age, height, weight, and gender.

3. What factors affect basal metabolism?

Basal metabolism can be affected by various factors such as age, gender, body composition, and hormone levels. Age and gender have a significant impact, with younger individuals and males having a higher BMR. An increase in muscle mass can also lead to a higher BMR, as muscle tissue requires more energy to maintain than fat tissue.

4. Why is understanding basal metabolism important?

Understanding basal metabolism is important for maintaining overall health and managing weight. Knowing one's BMR can help determine the appropriate calorie intake and create a personalized nutrition plan. It can also aid in identifying potential underlying health issues if one's BMR is significantly higher or lower than expected.

5. Can basal metabolism be changed?

Basal metabolism can be influenced by lifestyle factors such as exercise and diet. Regular physical activity and strength training can increase muscle mass, leading to a higher BMR. Eating a balanced diet and not drastically restricting calorie intake can also help maintain a healthy BMR. However, individual genetic factors also play a role, and changing one's basal metabolism significantly is not possible.