What is the trace of a second rank covariant tensor?

In summary, the trace of a second rank tensor covariant in both indices is not readily interpreted as a linear operator on a single space. However, there are various ways to define and extend the concept of a trace for such a tensor, such as using a metric. This issue may arise in academic settings, such as when solving homework problems, but may not be apparent to all students. It may be helpful to discuss this with the instructor.
dwellexity
What is the trace of a second rank tensor covariant in both indices?
For a tensor covariant in one index and contravariant in another ##T^i_j##, the trace is ##T^k_k## but what is the trace for ##T_{ij}## because ##T_{kk}## is not even a tensor?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Such a tensor is not readily interpreted as a linear operator on a single space, because if applied to a single (co)vector, it gives a result in the dual space of the input. There are various ways one could define something a bit like a trace, and call it a trace, for such a tensor. The definition would be an extension of the concept of a trace. The easiest way to do this is if there is a metric ##g## in the context of the question, in which case we could define the trace as ##T^{ij}g_{ij}##. But whether that gives the desired result depends on the reason why one wants to extend the trace definition.

Is there a specific context for the question, in which a trace is needed, or is it just exploratory musing?

andrewkirk said:
Is there a specific context for the question, in which a trace is needed, or is it just exploratory musing?
Basically it is related to a homework problem I have. I need to write an arbitrary second rank covariant tensor as a sum of traceless symmetric tensor, an antisymmetric tensor and the trace. I wrote it as ## [\frac{1}{2} (T_{ij} + T_{ji}) - \frac{1}{n} T \delta_{ij}] + [\frac{1}{n} T \delta_{ij}] + [\frac{1}{2} (T_{ij} - T_{ji})] ##
T is the trace.

But then I thought how would the trace be represented in index notation?

Also, am I right to say that I can't really write the T as ##g^{ij}T_{ij}## because ##T_{ij}## is an arbitrary tensor and I don't know whether a metric is defined for it?

That helps. It seems to me that the lecturer is thinking of the tensors as just matrices, because the expression ##\delta_{ij}## has no meaning in a coordinate-free context.
In a matrix context, your solution appears to be correct.
You could point out to your lecturer that a linear map from one space to a different one is not a linear operator, and does not have a trace. But I doubt it would endear you to her, so better not do that.
This looks like one of those not infrequent questions where the more alert students have more problems than others, because they spot problems in the question that the others don't.
Your last sentence is correct too.

andrewkirk said:
You could point out to your lecturer that a linear map from one space to a different one is not a linear operator, and does not have a trace. But I doubt it would endear you to her, so better not do that.
I think I will talk to him about this. He is not that kind of guy.
Anyways, thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of a second rank covariant tensor?

A second rank covariant tensor is a mathematical object that represents a linear mapping between two vector spaces. It is a multidimensional array of numbers that transforms under a specific set of rules when the basis of the vector space changes.

2. How is the trace of a second rank covariant tensor calculated?

The trace of a second rank covariant tensor is calculated by summing the elements along the main diagonal of the tensor. This is equivalent to taking the dot product of the tensor with the Kronecker delta function.

3. What is the physical significance of the trace of a second rank covariant tensor?

The trace of a second rank covariant tensor is a measure of the invariance of the tensor under a change of basis. It also represents the sum of the eigenvalues of the tensor, which can provide information about the properties and behavior of the tensor in physical systems.

4. How does the trace of a second rank covariant tensor relate to the principle of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, the trace of a second rank covariant tensor is used to construct the stress-energy tensor, which describes the energy and momentum distribution in spacetime. This tensor is crucial in understanding the effects of gravity and curvature on the behavior of objects in the universe.

5. Can the trace of a second rank covariant tensor be used to simplify calculations?

Yes, the trace of a second rank covariant tensor can be used to simplify calculations in certain cases. For example, in the theory of elasticity, the trace of the stress tensor can be used to calculate the bulk modulus, which is a measure of the material's resistance to compression. Additionally, in fluid dynamics, the trace of the stress tensor can be used to calculate the bulk viscosity, which is a measure of the fluid's resistance to shear deformation.