A circuit with switches, capacitators and resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential energy stored in two capacitors, and whether they are in series or parallel. The final condition of the capacitors is when the voltage is equal and there is no more current flowing. After computing the final voltage and charge on the capacitors, further calculations are needed to determine the energy dissipation. The conversation also mentions finding expressions for the final energy of each capacitor and comparing it to the initial energy in one of the capacitors.
eyespy
Homework Statement
A battery(electromotive force: V), two capacitors (capacitance: Ca,Cb), two switches (S1, S2), and a resistor are connect as shown in figure below. Initially, both switches are open and no charge in stored in either capacitor. Next, S1 is closed and, after sufficiente time elapses, is opened again. Afterwards, S2, is closed while S1 remains opened. As a result, a current begins to flow through the resistor. After sufficient time elapses the current stops flowing through the resistor. What is the Joule heat generated in the resistor during the time from when S2 is closed until the current stops flowing through the resistor?
Relevant Equations
Q = C.V
Epe = QV/2
V = R.i
P = V.i
q'a + qb = qa
1579269296930.png

To solve this question first I calculated the potential energy the capacitor A stored. It's equal a: Ca.V²/2. Ok, so when switch S1 is open and S2 is closed I calculated the equivalent capacitance as if they were in series --> 1/Ceq = 1/Ca + 1/Cb --> Ceq = (Ca.Cb)/(Ca+Cb). So I used the formula: CeqV²/2 --> (Ca.Cb.V²)/2(Ca+Cb) and I found the awnser. The problem is, my friend said that the capacitors are in parallel, but I solved by series, who is right? Which is the best way to solve this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
eyespy said:
I calculated the equivalent capacitance as if they were in series --> 1/Ceq = 1/Ca + 1/Cb --> Ceq = (Ca.Cb)/(Ca+Cb). So I used the formula: CeqV²/2 --> (Ca.Cb.V²)/2(Ca+Cb)
This is not a correct calculation. Even if the calculation were correct, wouldn't your result represent the final energy stored in the two capacitors? But that's not what you are asked to find.

When you close the second switch, current will flow until some final condition is met. What is this final condition?

Likes eyespy
TSny said:
This is not a correct calculation. Even if the calculation were correct, wouldn't your result represent the final energy stored in the two capacitors? But that's not what you are asked to find.

When you close the second switch, current will flow until some final condition is met. What is this final condition?
It is when the voltage is equal in Capacitor A and B. They are in parallel or in serie?

eyespy said:
It is when the voltage is equal in Capacitor A and B. They are in parallel or in serie?
Yes :)

In the situation where the current has stopped, there's no more voltage across R, so you could replace it by a wire. The capacitors will then both be in series and in parallel, and you will be able to use rules for both series and parallel circuits, and you should get the same result.
After computing the final voltage or charge on the capacitors, you'll need to do some more work to compute the energy dissipation in R from the loss in electric energy.

Likes eyespy
eyespy said:
It is when the voltage is equal in Capacitor A and B.
Yes.

Don't worry about whether or not the capacitors are in series or parallel. Try to picture what's going on physically with the charge. Before closing S2, there is a certain amount of positive charge on the upper plate of C1 and no charge on the upper plate of C2. After S2 is closed, how is the charge distributed? How does the total final charge on the upper plates compare to the initial charge on the upper plate of C1?

Likes eyespy
willem2 said:

Yes :)

In the situation where the current has stopped, there's no more voltage across R, so you could replace it by a wire. The capacitors will then both be in series and in parallel, and you will be able to use rules for both series and parallel circuits, and you should get the same result.
After computing the final voltage or charge on the capacitors, you'll need to do some more work to compute the energy dissipation in R from the loss in electric energy.
TSny said:
Yes.

Don't worry about whether or not the capacitors are in series or parallel. Try to picture what's going on physically with the charge. Before closing S2, there is a certain amount of positive charge on the upper plate of C1 and no charge on the upper plate of C2. After S2 is closed, how is the charge distributed? How does the total final charge on the upper plates compare to the initial charge on the upper plate of C1?
So, I will calculate q'a + qb = qa = CaVa--> q'a/Ca - qb/Cb = 0 --> q'a/Ca = qb/Cb. So CaV - q'a = q'aCb/Ca, manipulating q'a = Ca²V/(Ca+Cb). And I found that q'b = VCaCb/(Ca+Cb). Now what I have to do? I was making this exercise for more than one day lol

eyespy said:
So, I will calculate q'a + qb = qa = CaVa--> q'a/Ca - qb/Cb = 0 --> q'a/Ca = qb/Cb. So CaV - q'a = q'aCb/Ca, manipulating q'a = Ca²V/(Ca+Cb). And I found that q'b = VCaCb/(Ca+Cb). Now what I have to do?

Looks good. You now know the final charge on each capacitor. You can easily find the final V of each.

You should be able to find expressions for the final energy of each capacitor and compare to the initial energy in Ca.

Last edited:

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop of wires and components that allows electricity to flow through it. It can be used to power electronic devices and perform various functions.

What is the purpose of switches in a circuit?

Switches are used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. They can be opened or closed to break or complete the circuit, respectively.

What role do capacitators play in a circuit?

Capacitators store electrical energy and release it when needed. They are commonly used to filter out unwanted signals and stabilize voltage in a circuit.

Why are resistors important in a circuit?

Resistors are used to limit the flow of electricity in a circuit. This helps to prevent damage to components and control the amount of current in a circuit.

How do these components work together in a circuit?

Switches, capacitators, and resistors are used in combination to control the flow of electricity and perform specific functions in a circuit. They work together to create a complete and functional circuit.