What is the velocity of a decelerating boat after 4.9 seconds?

In summary, the conversation discusses a boat that is initially moving at a velocity of 9.9m/s and then turns off its engine, resulting in a deceleration at the rate of a=-kv^2. The goal is to find the velocity of the boat after 4.9 seconds, with a constant k=5.5m. The solution involves integrating the deceleration equation and solving for the final velocity.
Lenart Kovac

Homework Statement

A boat, moving at the velocity of 9,9m/s turns off its engine and starts decelerating at the rate of a=-kv^2. What is the velocity of the boat after 4,9 seconds if the constant k is k=5,5m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate deceleration to get velocity, which got me the equation v= -k * t * v0^2, but that got me a really weird number and I'm sure I'm not doing something right, so I'm asking you for help

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a separable differential equation. The way you need to integrate is like this: First, note that a = dv/dt, so we have dv/dt = -k*v2.
Rearrange so that you have this
$$dt = \frac {dv} {-k v^2},$$
Now you can integrate both sides. If you don't want to fool with integration constant, then you can integrate the right side (with velocity) from 9.9 m/s to vf and integrate the left side (time) from 0 seconds to 4.9 seconds. Then you can rearrange to solve for vf

Last edited:
Likes Lenart Kovac
I made a revision, it seems I had my left side and right side switched around :eek: Also I used some LateX so it would look a little nicer.

Likes Lenart Kovac
It worked! Thanks for the help :)

What is the speed of a decelerating boat?

The speed of a decelerating boat refers to the rate at which the boat is slowing down. It is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

How is the speed of a decelerating boat calculated?

The speed of a decelerating boat can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is known as the average deceleration and is expressed in units of acceleration, such as meters per second squared or miles per hour per second.

What factors can affect the speed of a decelerating boat?

The speed of a decelerating boat can be affected by various factors, such as the boat's mass, the force applied to slow it down, and any external forces like wind or water resistance. The shape and design of the boat can also impact its deceleration rate.

How does the speed of a decelerating boat compare to its initial speed?

The speed of a decelerating boat is always slower than its initial speed. This is because deceleration refers to a decrease in velocity, while acceleration refers to an increase in velocity. The boat's initial speed is the maximum speed it can travel before it begins to slow down.

Can the speed of a decelerating boat be negative?

Yes, the speed of a decelerating boat can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion. This is known as deceleration or negative acceleration. However, the boat's velocity is still decreasing, as it is moving in the opposite direction of its initial speed.