What is the velocity of a falling object with air resistance?

In summary: This is the same as the circumference of the helix. The circumference is given by 2πR where R is the radius of the helix. So set h = 2πR and you have an expression for the pitch angle of the helix.In summary, this conversation discusses the development of a simulation for a falling object subject to air resistance. The object is similar to a Samara seed and is considered to be under steady vertical descent. The known variables include the surface area of the object, its weight, the drag coefficient, the length from the center of rotation to the tip of the object, and the angle at which it inclines. The equations used in this problem include the terminal velocity and the disk loading equation.
Antony Jose

Homework Statement

I am trying to develop simulation for a falling object subject to air resistance. Object is similar to Samara seed. object is considered to be under steady vertical descend.
know variable :
surface area of object (A)
weight of object (W)
cd: drag coefficient
object rotates while falling.
length from center of rotation to tip of the object (L)
inclines at an angle beta (β)
Swept disk radius (r) = L*cos(β)

Homework Equations

terminal velocity(Vs)= √[(2*W)/(cd*ρ*A)
Disk loading= W/A=ρ(Vs2-Vf2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck in this position and don't know how to approach the problem from here. want to know how to calculate the velocity of object and angular velocity of the tip of the object.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help with the aerodynamics but...

Antony Jose said:
object is considered to be under steady vertical descend.

If it's descending at constant velocity then at that velocity the vertical force upwards (caused by a combination of lift and drag) is equal to the force due to gravity downwards.

Likes Antony Jose
thanks for the replies.
I had some more doubt. Like how to draw the helix created by the object if it start rotating 1 meter above the ground.
given that we know the velocity of fall, angular velocity of rotation and radius of helix.

If we assume that the seed very quickly reaches terminal velocity then that's solvable...

The vertical velocity (v) and the height (h) give you the time it takes to fall (t)...

t = h/v

Then the time (t) and angular velocity (ω) gives you the number of revolutions (n) it makes before hitting the ground..

n = ωt/2π (Note I had to edit this line)

Then the height (h) and the number of revolutions (n) gives you the pitch of the helix (p) in meters (p = the distance it falls per revolution)..

p = h/n

I'm not sure how you define the radius of the helix? I think seeds with a single wing rotate about a point on the wing near the seed head. So the seed and wing tip move in a helix (different radii) but the centre of rotation descends in a straight line (ignoring wind).

CWatters said:
If we assume that the seed very quickly reaches terminal velocity then that's solvable...

The vertical velocity (v) and the height (h) give you the time it takes to fall (t)...

t = h/v

Then the time (t) and angular velocity (ω) gives you the number of revolutions (n) it makes before hitting the ground..

n = ωt/2π (Note I had to edit this line)

Then the height (h) and the number of revolutions (n) gives you the pitch of the helix (p) in meters (p = the distance it falls per revolution)..

p = h/n

I'm not sure how you define the radius of the helix? I think seeds with a single wing rotate about a point on the wing near the seed head. So the seed and wing tip move in a helix (different radii) but the centre of rotation descends in a straight line (ignoring wind).
thank you for the help.
center of rotation can be found by find center of mass (C.M). Most of the seed have this as center of rotation.

Can you help me with finding the angular velocity of the object.
I took angular velocity as terminal velocty (vtrmnl)*sin(Θ)/radius, since no other force is acting on the object. [Θ is the angle of attack]
But I think there is some thing wron.

Antony Jose said:
I took angular velocity as terminal velocty (vtrmnl)*sin(Θ)/radius,

I make it

Angular velocity (Rads/s) = Vtrmnl / (Radius * Tan(Θ))

Seed fall.png

In one revolution it falls a distance h so

Tan(θ) = h/circumference
so
h = Tan(θ) * 2πR

The time for one revolution is t..

t = h/Vtermnl
t = (Tan(θ) * 2πR)/Vtermnl

Angular Velocity = angle/time
= 2π/t
= 2π/((Tan(θ) * 2πR)/Vtermnl)
= Vtermnl/(Radius * Tan(Θ))

I should add that in my post above the angle θ is the pitch angle of the helix (not the aerodynamic angle of attack). I don't think you can easily calculate the angular velocity from the aerodynamic pitch.

CWatters said:
I should add that in my post above the angle θ is the pitch angle of the helix (not the aerodynamic angle of attack). I don't think you can easily calculate the angular velocity from the aerodynamic pitch.
How to find pitch angle?
I think we can find it using h and circumference. Using Pythagoras theorm.

Last edited:
Correct although you don't need Pythagoras...

The pitch angle of the helix (distance descended per revolution) = Tan-1(h/circumference)

But note that this is not the same as the aerodynamic pitch.

CWatters said:
Correct although you don't need Pythagoras...

The pitch angle of the helix (distance descended per revolution) = Tan-1(h/circumference)

But note that this is not the same as the aerodynamic pitch.

problem in this is that i couldn't find 'h'
CWatters said:
In one revolution it falls a distance h

1. What is air resistance and how does it affect the velocity of a falling object?

Air resistance is the force exerted by air on a moving object. It opposes the motion of the object and reduces its velocity. The larger the surface area of the object and the faster it moves, the greater the air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a falling object with air resistance?

The velocity of a falling object with air resistance can be calculated using the formula v = gt - (k/m)v², where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, t is the time, k is the drag coefficient, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a falling object with air resistance?

The velocity of a falling object with air resistance is affected by the acceleration due to gravity, the object's mass, the object's surface area, and the drag coefficient. These factors determine the strength of the air resistance force acting on the object.

4. How does the velocity of a falling object with air resistance change over time?

The velocity of a falling object with air resistance decreases over time due to the increasing strength of the air resistance force. Initially, the object's velocity will decrease at a faster rate, but eventually it will reach a terminal velocity where the air resistance force is equal to the force of gravity and the object will fall at a constant velocity.

5. Can the velocity of a falling object with air resistance ever be greater than its initial velocity?

No, the velocity of a falling object with air resistance can never be greater than its initial velocity. The air resistance force always acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, so it will always slow the object down. The object's velocity may increase temporarily due to external forces, but it will eventually decrease back to its terminal velocity.