What is the Voltage Drop across a dependent current source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Thevenin/Norton equivalent of a circuit with a dependent current source. The speaker is seeking help with calculating the voltage drop across the current source and plans to provide a circuit diagram for further assistance. It is mentioned that the voltage drop across a dependent current source depends on what it is connected to.
dep0
Hello,
I want to calculate the Thevenin/Norton equivalent of a circuit with a dependent current source.
I tried to analyse the circuit using loop equations but i don't know how to calculate the voltage drop across the current source.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dep0 said:
Hello,
I want to calculate the Thevenin/Norton equivalent of a circuit with a dependent current source.
I tried to analyse the circuit using loop equations but i don't know how to calculate the voltage drop across the current source.
Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post the circuit diagram (upload it as an attachment), and show us what work you have done so far? :smile:

+1 to that.

The voltage drop across a dependent current source depends on what it's connected to. As a hint, what would be the voltage be across an ordinary current source if it was a) open circuit b) short circuit?

Thank you both for your answers!
I will upload an attachment with the circuit today. I cannot do it now because i don't have my notes with me, but later in the day i will.

1. What is a dependent current source?

A dependent current source is an electrical component that produces a current that is dependent on another voltage or current in the circuit. This means that the magnitude of the current is determined by the value of another voltage or current in the circuit.

2. How is the voltage drop across a dependent current source calculated?

The voltage drop across a dependent current source is calculated by multiplying the current through the source by its internal resistance. This can be represented by the equation V = I*R, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, and R is the internal resistance.

3. What is the difference between a dependent and independent current source?

A dependent current source is controlled by another voltage or current in the circuit, while an independent current source produces a constant current regardless of other values in the circuit. Additionally, a dependent current source can only be used in certain types of circuits, while an independent current source can be used in any type of circuit.

4. What are some examples of dependent current sources?

Some examples of dependent current sources include transistors, operational amplifiers, and voltage-controlled current sources. These components use a combination of voltage and current to control the output current, making them dependent on the values of other elements in the circuit.

5. How does the voltage drop across a dependent current source affect the overall circuit?

The voltage drop across a dependent current source can affect the overall circuit by changing the total current flow and voltage levels. This can impact the performance of other components in the circuit and may require adjustments to be made to ensure proper operation.