What is the wavelength of an electron of 5eV energy?

In summary, the question asks for the wavelength of an electron with 5eV of energy. To solve this, de Broglie's equation must be used, which is lambda = h/p. However, using Planck's constant in eV does not work, and it needs to be converted to J/s. Additionally, the mass (m) may also need to be converted to eV. Other methods have multiplied 2mK by the electron charge to change J/s to eV, which has yielded the correct answer.
ldc1

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength of an electron which has 5eV of energy.

Homework Equations

de Broglie's equation: lambda=h/p , kinetic energy equation: K=0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: I figured out that using de Broglie's wavelength equation was necessary for this question. but after changing around everything to get lambda = h/(2mK)^1/2, I kept on getting an incorrect answer.
From comparing my methods to others I found that using Planck's constant's value in eV didn't work.
What I really want to know is if I have to change the mass(m) to eV.
The others had used Planck's constant's value in J/s and had multiplied the 2mK by the electron charge ( to change J/s to eV), and it had worked for them.
Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take care with your units.

1. What is the definition of wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave.

2. How is the wavelength of an electron measured?

The wavelength of an electron can be measured using a technique called electron diffraction, where a beam of electrons is passed through a thin material and the resulting diffraction pattern is analyzed to determine the electron's wavelength.

3. Can the wavelength of an electron be calculated using its energy?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron can be calculated using the de Broglie equation, which relates an object's wavelength to its momentum and mass. However, this equation only applies to particles with very small masses, such as electrons.

4. What is the significance of an electron's wavelength?

The wavelength of an electron is significant because it exhibits wave-particle duality, meaning it can behave both as a particle and a wave. This is important in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. How does the energy of an electron affect its wavelength?

The energy of an electron is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the energy of an electron increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa.