What is the work done by a horse pulling a cart?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancies in the solutions for a physics problem involving conversions between feet and meters. The speaker made a mistake in their calculation, using 45lb instead of the given 42lb, leading to a 0.04% difference from the author's solution. It is noted that the more accurate approach is to work with feet and convert to meters at the end. The final conversion results in a solution of 332,068 Joules, which is 7.1% different from the author's answer. The conversation also mentions the importance of providing accurate conversions and not using too many significant figures.
walking
Zw2V3.png

The answers for author's solution differ slightly from mine when I convert his answers to SI. I think this is only a conversion issue as the differences are small but I wanted to confirm if my solution is correct:

d=rt (distance = rate x time) so (12 min)(6.2mi/h)(60s/1min)(0.3048m/s)(0.6816mi/h). Then $$W=(F\cos \theta)d=(45lb\cos 27)d$$ etc. I end up getting 355940J wjereas author gets 332190J (he doesn't give answer in J since he works with feet, but after converting it to J using accurate conversion rates this is what I got).

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 244,921 lb*ft which converts to 332,068 Joules. My answer differs from the author's by 0.04%. Yours differs by 7.1%. It looks like it's more accurate to work with feet and do one final conversion in the end.

What did you get for part (b)?

It doesn't say 45 lb, it says 42 lb.

356 or 332 is too far off for conversion accuracy

Your
(12 min)(6.2mi/h)(60s/1min)(0.3048m/s)(0.6816mi/h)
has the wrong dimension.
What is (0.3048 m/s)(0.6816 mph) ?

I get 332.1904 kW ##\qquad##:smile:

Note that providing more than two digits is questionable: it suggests more accuracy than actually justified
1615398443427.png

##\ ##

Likes kuruman
BvU said:
It doesn't say 45 lb, it says 42 lb.
And the discrepancy between 45 and 42 is 7.1%. I didn't notice the mistaken input.

Likes BvU
Right, so I made the mistake of using 45lb instead of 42. When I use 42 I get $$(42lb\cos 27)(12min)(6.2mi/h)\left( \frac{10^{-5}N}{2.248\times 10^{-6}lb}\right)\left(\frac{60s}{1min}\right)\left(\frac{0.3048m/s}{0.6818mi/h}\right)=332210=3.32\times 10^5 J$$

What is work done?

Work done is the measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves.

How is work done related to a horse pulling a cart?

In the context of a horse pulling a cart, work done refers to the amount of energy exerted by the horse as it moves the cart a certain distance. The force applied by the horse is the pulling force and the distance moved is the distance traveled by the cart.

What factors affect the amount of work done by a horse pulling a cart?

The amount of work done by a horse pulling a cart depends on several factors, including the weight of the cart, the distance traveled, the speed at which the horse moves, and the terrain or surface over which the cart is being pulled.

How is work done measured?

Work done is measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). However, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or kilocalories (kcal) depending on the context.

Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative if the force applied and the distance moved are in opposite directions. This means that the energy is being transferred in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in a decrease in the object's energy. In the case of a horse pulling a cart, this could happen if the cart is moving downhill and the horse is pulling it in the opposite direction.