What is the Work Done by Air Resistance on a Round Trip?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bicyclist riding a certain distance while facing resistive forces from the air. The work done by the resistive force during the round trip is calculated using the equation W=(fcosΘ)s, where the distance is converted to meters. It is suggested that the answer may be zero if the net force is considered, but it is decided to solve it using the first method.
emerica1254

Homework Statement

A bicyclist rides 1.32 km due east, while the resistive force from the air has a magnitude of 6.12 N and points due west. The rider then turns around and rides 1.32 km due west, back to her starting point. The resistive force from the air on the return trip has a magnitude of 6.12 N and points due east. Find the work done by the resistive force during the round trip

Homework Equations

W=(fcosΘ)s

The Attempt at a Solution

6.12*cos180*1.32+6.12*cos180*1.32= -16.14, but this is not the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
hi emerica1254! :smile:
emerica1254 said:
6.12*cos180*1.32+6.12*cos180*1.32= -16.14, but this is not the right answer

looks right to me :confused:

have you tried -16.1 J ?

tiny-tim said:
hi emerica1254! :smile:

looks right to me :confused:

have you tried -16.1 J ?

Still didn't work and i have only one more chance to get it right, so if anyone else knows what I'm doing wrong i would appreciate it

Well, there's two possible things I see.

1) The problem states that the distance is 1.32 km. You should convert this to meters.

2) Or, possibly, they are looking for net force. In which case, as a vector sum, -8078 in one direction plus +8078 in the opposite direction would equal zero.

I'm thinking they really want it done the first way, though.

p21bass said:
Well, there's two possible things I see.

1) The problem states that the distance is 1.32 km. You should convert this to meters.

2) Or, possibly, they are looking for net force. In which case, as a vector sum, -8078 in one direction plus +8078 in the opposite direction would equal zero.

I'm thinking they really want it done the first way, though.

Converting to m worked thanks for all your help.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect objects?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object, making it harder to move through the air. It also causes objects to fall to the ground at a slower rate than they would in a vacuum.

3. What factors affect air resistance?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences depends on its shape, size, and speed. Objects with a larger surface area and higher speeds experience more air resistance.

4. Can air resistance be reduced?

Yes, air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape or surface of an object. For example, streamlined objects have less air resistance than objects with rough, irregular surfaces.

5. How is air resistance measured?

Air resistance is typically measured using a wind tunnel or by conducting experiments with different objects and measuring their speeds and acceleration. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations.